Trying my hand starting some plants

JWT

Reaction score
Just a little about myself I have a 55 gallon aquarium with mollies cell fins my substrate is basically Stone I also have natural slate that I got from Macquarie around home I also ordered I don't know how to pronounce it but it's that cactus that you allowed to float in your tank and then it sinks I bowled it first of course. So I went to my pet store absolutely a virgin at this ask him what would be the easiest and best plant to start with hoping that he would start me out with moss because what I would like to do is carpet the slate stone with moss what he gives me this plant that is almost as tall as my 55 gallon aquarium is I mean it's a pretty plant and I asked him does it require CO2 and all that he said no the only light I have is what comes with the hood and one of my frayed is is he was just wanting to get rid of this plant and pawned it off on me I'm going to post a picture of it because I don't even know what type it is signed Yours Truly please help thank you

Attachments

• 20200727_195936.jpg
    20200727_195936.jpg
    504.6 KB · Views: 80
Appears to be some sort of sword, easy to grow.

If you want super easy beginner plants, here is a good list:

Anacharis (Easiest IMO, hard to kill), Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss.

I would go with the Anacharis. It can grow in the rocky substrate you have.

Yeh nice lookin sword. You can super glue java moss to those slates (Aquarium safe glue (cyanoacrylate gel))

Its a sword plant.
Im assuming if you have mollies you have hard water, while sword plants are from the amazon where the water is generally very soft they can live in hard water. Other plants that do well in harder water are crypts, Valis, as mentioned anacharis, and java ferns and anubius.hornwort probably be ok as it can grow in a toilet, most hygro grow in all types of water.
All will need fertilizer, either in the water column or/ and the substrate.

Appears to be some sort of sword, easy to grow.

If you want super easy beginner plants, here is a good list:

Anacharis (Easiest IMO, hard to kill), Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss.

I would go with the Anacharis. It can grow in the rocky substrate you have.
So the standard light that I have in the tank should suffice right I shouldn't have to get any kind of special grow light and I'm going to post a picture of the Slate that I'm talkin about that I would like to get moss to cover and you said the Java moss will work for covering the Slate and please overlook the background I plan on redoing all of that to make it more presentable

So the standard light that I have in the tank should suffice right I shouldn't have to get any kind of special grow light and I'm going to post a picture of the Slate that I'm talkin about that I would like to get moss to cover and you said the Java moss will work for covering the Slate and please overlook the background I plan on redoing all of that to make it more presentable
We need a picture of the slate first. :) (Yes, the light will suffice)

Here's a picture of the Slade as requested

Attachments

• 15958984444358266408029051971248.jpg
    15958984444358266408029051971248.jpg
    340.7 KB · Views: 66
Here's a picture of the Slade as requested
I forgot to ask one other question when he give this bunch to me one of the strands head broke off from the bunch it still had roots to it and he said that you could plan it on its own so I stuck it on the other side of my plant I'm going to send a picture did he tell me the truth this guy doesn't know all the he lets on about fish I'm afraid

Attachments

• 15958987811367246807765133208321.jpg
    15958987811367246807765133208321.jpg
    365.2 KB · Views: 84
If it still has some root structure then it might stand a chance to develop however plants tend to 'melt' back and lose the odd leaf before they establish themselves. You wouldn't really want another massive sword plant on the opposite side of the tank though

We need a picture of the slate first. :) (Yes, the light will suffice)
If it still has some root structure then it might stand a chance to develop however plants tend to 'melt' back and lose the odd leaf before they establish themselves. You wouldn't really want another massive sword plant on the opposite side of the tank though
Yeah that's my plan after I make sure that my thumb is going to be green with this LOL

Yeah that's my plan after I make sure that my thumb is going to be green with this LOL
I've just read so much stuff about having to add CO2 diffusers and different kind of substrates and different fertilizers and all that junk and I just don't really have the time to devote to all of that
20200513_212506.jpg

I've just read so much stuff about having to add CO2 diffusers and different kind of substrates and different fertilizers and all that junk and I just don't really have the time to devote to all of thatView attachment 110882
Just curious but in this picture is that a Betta at the top right?

Your amazon sword, if you end up keeping it, is a root feeder and will probably need a root tab every now and then. Otherwise theres plenty of 'low tech' plants to create a great looking tank. Is there a Betta in you tank? Those slate are looking a bit on the sharp side if you have

You may be able to attach Java Moss to your slate, but I dont think it will work well.

I suggest getting some fragile stone or lava rock to attach java moss to. I find they attach easier.

Most reactions

Back