True Double Tail?

Kara101584

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My LFS is now selling "Double Tail" bettas. But I think they look alot like veils with split tails. :crazy:

Is there anyway to tell a true bred Double Tail betta?

The dorsal fin of a true DT should be twice as wide as it usually would be. Generally starting from behind the head and going all the way back.

Once upon a time I would have sworn that split tails were manually split but I don't know anymore. My most recent spawn has two juvies with split tails. They're not DT's,just split. Very odd.

wuvmybetta said:
The dorsal fin of a true DT should be twice as wide as it usually would be. Generally starting from behind the head and going all the way back.

Once upon a time I would have sworn that split tails were manually split but I don't know anymore. My most recent spawn has two juvies with split tails. They're not DT's,just split. Very odd.
I didn't want to think it, but these "double tails" look like they are just normal veil's with their tails cut.... I'll have to take a closer look at them tomorrow night, and investigate, if I find that to be true, there will be hell to pay! :sly:

I can't help but wonder if it's a genetic blunder, what would happen if two split tails were bred together? A spawn of splits? Maybe that's where they came from :dunno:
Splitting the tail by hand would result in uneven 'lobes' and it seems a difficult task to only have a mutilated fish. But ya never know,people are strange.

some double tails and split tails are born with uneven lobes though I would look for the bottom of the lobes to look cut and not rounded...or look for the clear new growth on the edges where it would have been cut...Seems to me its a waste of time to cut fish's fins to make a profit...because eventualy if they are cutting them someone is going to blow the whistle...MM

my new guy noble was do as a DT - there were double tail and delta tail beign sold so i actually don't know what he was but he does have an interesting thing about his tail.

He has a indent in the middle of his tail, kinda like he was a double tail and it fused together :dunno: it is like that?

I'm going to check it out, because their veil's are $3.99, then they have these "double tails" for $10.00.... I hope that's not the case though.

Most reactions

Back