Troubles Breeding Electric Blues

joshrm115

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I just got a new pair of lack Malawi electric blue cichlids and I'm trying to breed them but the male just doesn't seem to be having it the female fallows him around all day but he is kinda stand offish is this normal? And he even chases her away so I'm not sure if this is normal behavior. They have been together for about 3 days now but the male just kinda picked his cave and defends it and if she comes around it he scares her off but he will go to her every now and again what should I do is this normal? It's the two in a 30 g. Water temp 80 ph7.9 ammona is 0

Are they a 'proven' breeding pair as you can't just put a pair together and expect that they'll breed?

They're in new, unfamiliar territory so you'll have to give them time to settle and get used to their new home. Have patience.
IF they're not a proven pair it will take longer for them to get used to each other too, unless they're a proven pair they may never even breed with each other :unsure:

No not a proven pair but I'm positive of the genders but I heard I should have more then one female but until I can move them to my 65 g i feel a 30 g tank is to small for 3

No not a proven pair but I'm positive of the genders but I heard I should have more then one female but until I can move them to my 65 g i feel a 30 g tank is to small for 3

Definately too small imo but you will have to be very careful as the one female may end up harrassed to death, hence the general recommendations to have 1m and at least 2 f. As they`re not a proven pair, don`t put too much faith in them breeding for a while, if at all. After all, how would you feel being stuck with a right minger as a partner with no choice of another that you actually find attractive? :look:

Well this morning I found them both side by side in the corner of the tank so I hope that this is a good sign what do u think?

Well this morning I found them both side by side in the corner of the tank so I hope that this is a good sign what do u think?

It could be due to a number of reasons, either the male is chasing her into a corner (you don`t see the chasing unless you watch the tank 24/7) or they`re starting to get to know each other. Just keep an eye on them both for any signs of the female being harrassed.

If you keep an eye on the females underneath, you should be able to tell when she`s conditioned and due to spawn as her 'vent tube' will begin to protrude from her body. When that happens you can expect to see some breeding/spawning going on. Like I`ve already said though, don`t expect too much too soon :good:

Well it looks like it is protruding right now I will post some pics later so u can see they are both fully grown and came from the same tank from my LFS so maybe they kno each other another question is my 65 g tank is 36 across and 36 tall is this suitable for a Malawi tank? It's cycling right now

Most reactions

Back