Trouble Growing Plants Due To Algae Growth

slowcountry

Reaction score
I have several varieties of plants in my community aquarium of which I do not know their names without doing some research. It appears that my plants growth suffers due to some type of algae growth that covers 50% or greater of the plants leaves. In addition, this algae grows spuratically on the gravel.

What I am calling algae looks like very short hair and black in color. I use Sera A plant food and feed as described. The tank is 55 gallons with the original Aqueon hood lights. When I added the plants I also added a Corallife light bar that has two lights and sits directly on top of the tank. So I have a total of three lights on the tank.

I leave the lights on for 13 hours a day, they are all on a timer.

I believe that all the conditions that I have would work for these plants if I could just kill this stupid algae.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

What is your filtration? How long has the tank been setup?

What is the wattage of your bulbs for your three lights?

A picture of the tank? I have my suspicions on what algae species it is based on your description, but a photo confirmation is always nice. Don't be shy, we've all seen algae here before. :lol: With a picture, I can also id some of those plants for you.

Do you do anything other than the ferts? CO2 injection?

Water changes? How often? How much?

Whether it is the final cause or not, I'll say that your photoperiod is rather long. I'd reduce it by about 4-5 hours. Some go as low as 4 or 6 hours of lighting only, especially when the tank is experiencing algae problems or when it's just been setup. Then then gradually go up to about 8-10 hours, depending on the circumstances. Mine's at around 8 hours a day, no break in the middle.

llj

What is your filtration? How long has the tank been setup?

What is the wattage of your bulbs for your three lights?

A picture of the tank? I have my suspicions on what algae species it is based on your description, but a photo confirmation is always nice. Don't be shy, we've all seen algae here before. :lol: With a picture, I can also id some of those plants for you.

Do you do anything other than the ferts? CO2 injection?

Water changes? How often? How much?

Whether it is the final cause or not, I'll say that your photoperiod is rather long. I'd reduce it by about 4-5 hours. Some go as low as 4 or 6 hours of lighting only, especially when the tank is experiencing algae problems or when it's just been setup. Then then gradually go up to about 8-10 hours, depending on the circumstances. Mine's at around 8 hours a day, no break in the middle.

llj

The filtration is a hang on the tank Aqueon filter (two filter pads, I think it is a model 55 or something like that.). For smiles and grins, I have added some bacterial cylinders in the filter box. The nitrites are always zero, however the nitrates can get up to 40ppm or so. The tank has been set up for about a year. I have been trying for about 6 months to sucessfully grow some nice plants, but have been fairly unsuccessful. This is why I added the Coralife light, which started causing my plants to sprout many roots and grow new leafs. As the plants grow new leaves then they get this algae and seem to stifle.

The two half hood lights (Aqueon) 15watts each fixture. Each fixture is two feet long. The Coralife light is a T5 series Double Linear Strip 48" Colormax full spectrum and 6700K lamps 28 watts / bulb. So the total wattage between the three fixtures is 86 watts.

I do 20 to 30% water changes weekly. I am on a well, and yes the water seems to have plenty of CO2 in it. When I check the pH out of the tap, it is 7.0. When I let the water sit for a couple of days, the pH rises to 8.2 to 8.5. I have two large air stones in the tank. I turned them off a couple of weeks ago to see if I could trap some CO2 and cause this to help the plants.

I only use fertilizer, I do not do any CO2 injection.

Thanks a million for your help and your quick response!

This is going to seem a silly question. How many plants do you have. You're lighting is not super high, very good for growing plants and you are borderline as to whether or not CO2 injection is crucial. If they plants are growing new shoots, that is a good sign, usually it takes a few weeks for plants to make adjustments in the aquarium so it is a step in the right direction. Reduce your photo period to 6 hours a day. I know, it stinks, half the time when I come home, my tank lights are off. :rolleyes:

While many do not recommend HOBs for planted tanks, I have laughed in their faces and all of my planted tanks have HOBs with much gusto and the tanks look great. I just tend to have between 2-3 HOBs per tank. Aim for 10x turnover. The Aqueon is rated at 325gph at 100% efficiency, things are never at 100% efficiency. As it stands now with a 55g, you don't have 10x turnoever, even at 100% efficiency. An extra filter will increase circulation in the tank allowing nutrients and CO2 more even distribution.

What would I also really recommend? The addition of CO2 in a pressurized system with a dropchecker so you can accurately measure what you're putting in. Coupled with the adoption of an okay dosing regimen, you should help your algae problems significantly.

What I can recommend for right now is that you buy that extra filter, a lot more plants and reduce your photo period like I said above. Aim for about 75-80 of the substrate covered with mostly stemplants or things that grow quickly. It won't be the final solution, but to ask someone to invest in pressurized CO2 is a little steep and hard to accomplish, and your lighting is borderline. You might not need it. I've had more WPG and have not used it. I've had less and used it. It's up to you.

A picture of the tank would be really great, then I could see how dense things are in there and assess your algae problems better.

Hope this helps a little. I've given you very nuts and bolts information.

I'm with Llj. No problem with any filter disturbing the surface unless you are struggling with yeast CO2 setups in which case any lost is a waste. lol

I think this could be the problem:

I think you should just go with the Coralife for now switching off the 2 x 15W and definately reduce from 13 hours to 7-8 hours. Once you get hold of the tank you can up the lights again slowly :)

The nitrites are always zero, however the nitrates can get up to 40ppm or so.

I am assuming that some days the plants starve and others they don't.

Your initial statement is something that needs addressing :) Plants don't suffer due to algae. Algae only steps in once plants have started suffering. Address the plants needs and algae declines.

AC

I'm with Llj. No problem with any filter disturbing the surface unless you are struggling with yeast CO2 setups in which case any lost is a waste. lol

I think this could be the problem:

I think you should just go with the Coralife for now switching off the 2 x 15W and definately reduce from 13 hours to 7-8 hours. Once you get hold of the tank you can up the lights again slowly :)

The nitrites are always zero, however the nitrates can get up to 40ppm or so.

I am assuming that some days the plants starve and others they don't.

Your initial statement is something that needs addressing :) Plants don't suffer due to algae. Algae only steps in once plants have started suffering. Address the plants needs and algae declines.

AC

Not sure if you misread that.. NO2 0ppm, NO3 up to 40ppm

Aaron - Better eyes than me. Yes I misread that. Scratch the nitrates theory then but still down the lights until algae is sorted. lol

AC

Most reactions

Back