Tropical Tank Inhabitants

Kaush

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a tropical tank set up and at the moment it has 1 common plec, 2 siamese foxes, 1 weather loach, 1 quite large angel fish, 2 blue dwarf gourami. The temperature is 24 degrees, and there are going to be some plants in there later. There is compost at the bottom of the tank with gravel on top of it and there are plenty of hiding places. The tank is 4 ft long 2 ft deep and 3 ft high. What other tankmates could be recomended?

I have a tropical tank set up and at the moment it has 1 common plec, 2 siamese foxes, 1 weather loach, 1 quite large angel fish, 2 blue dwarf gourami. The temperature is 24 degrees, and there are going to be some plants in there later. There is compost at the bottom of the tank with gravel on top of it and there are plenty of hiding places. The tank is 4 ft long 2 ft deep and 3 ft high. What other tankmates could be recomended?

removing the plec its gonna out grow that tank easily

removing the plec its gonna out grow that tank easily

The tank is 180 gallons, I am sure it will be fine...

I would be tempted to add some more angels or gouramis, but bare in mind the plec will grow lots bigger.

They can be very hard on plants but it depends really I think on how much other fresh food you give them, eg lettuce, potato, cucumber a bit of ham or chicken goes down well too, but they will tend to uproot anything just because they are so clumsy.

I currenlty feed sinking algea pellets, should i change this, how should i feed the other foods?

For cucumber easiest is to put a teaspoon through it, this will let it sink. Potato sinks anyway, but it is very very messy so dont leave it in for a long time. I use a little lead weight for other foods too. I wouldnt worry too much at 4" wafers are fine, just offer other stuff as a treat.

My two get through. Half a cuccumber, one medium size potato, two slices of ham and a large handful of catfish pellets a week.

Try peas aswell my fish love them.

Are weather loaches not cold water fish? Or is 24 cool enough? What about some different type of loach? Zebra or yo yo?

Do you think I could keep an oscar in there? I know they get big, but maybe I could keep it in there for a while? The only things I would be worried about are it eating any of my fish, like the chinese algea eaters, and tearing up the plants once I put them in. If not are there any other cichilds I could keep in there that would not harm the other fish and would not tear up the plants?

Most reactions

Back