Tropical Fish With No Heater

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Flame82

Reaction score
I would of thought fish which need heat would die in water which is cold. My friend took a few of his fish (tropical) into cold water and they are alive still (few months now)
How is this possible
Can tropical plants live in cold water :/

Live, yes, thrive, no. It does depend though on where you live and how warm the area they're in is, especially during the winter months. I don't even need my heaters during the summer here but during the winter, they get more use.

A fish living in improper water parameters will live a shorter, more stressful life and not look or be as healthy.

Well...I've seen it done in Jamaica. But I suppose that's near to where a lot of common Tropical fish naturally live.

Not really where they live but the year-round temperature makes heaters unncessary. In fact you might need chillers.

Not really where they live but the year-round temperature makes heaters unncessary. In fact you might need chillers.

Guppies & Tetras are from around the north part of south america....so not that far away....but, like you say its to do with the temperature although it does drop from a hot 32 degrees+ to around 25 degrees in the winter....Also, it was in Kingston where I saw them at my sister-in-laws house...and Kingston is very hot all the time!

I would of thought fish which need heat would die in water which is cold. My friend took a few of his fish (tropical) into cold water and they are alive still (few months now)
How is this possible
Can tropical plants live in cold water :/

They could but please dont try it :crazy: not a good idea

Most reactions

Back