Trimming crypts

seangee

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
I have just reshuffled my nano tank. I originally planted some cryptocoryne wendtii near to a small cluster of anubias nana. Well this was a few years ago and the anubias are now massive bushes. As they grew the crypts headed upwards in search of light. I have now moved them away from the anubias with no ill effects, but they look a bit weird with 6" stems and the leaves hovering in the top half of the tank.

My assumption is that all I can do is cut them off near to the substrate and wait for new leaves to grow. Will this work or will it be too much of a shock for them? Its about a month since I moved them and they are still healthy - so it seems they survived the shock of being uprooted and replanted.

I think you are right if they had better access to light they would grow lower - though it could be the species. Do you know the type?

In terms of how well it will replant, crypts are well known for melting after too much movement. It might not be a bad idea to wait for them to start sending out new leaves and seeing if they grow low or not?

Wills

They were just sold as wendtii green and almost certainly from tissue culture as I have them in the shrimp tank. My guess is I bought 6 and planted 2 each in 3 different tanks. Those in the other two tanks have stayed nice and compact and sent out plenty of daughter plants. These seem to have spent all their energy growing up - and the basis of my assumption that they were seeking light.

I cannot see anything in the photo as it is so small! But regardless, you are correct that plants will grow taller to reach the light. I would not remove these tall leaves now, but wait for new leaves as @Wills said. I agree too that the new leaves will likely be back to normal, depending upon the light, and having both might be appealing, or you could cut off the taller but not until you have good growth occurring. Seachem's Flourish Tabs are excellent with crypts and will improve the new growth, one stuck down between the plants depending how far apart they are.

I cannot see anything in the photo as it is so small! But regardless, you are correct that plants will grow taller to reach the light. I would not remove these tall leaves now, but wait for new leaves as @Wills said. I agree too that the new leaves will likely be back to normal, depending upon the light, and having both might be appealing, or you could cut off the taller but not until you have good growth occurring. Seachem's Flourish Tabs are excellent with crypts and will improve the new growth, one stuck down between the plants depending how far apart they are.
Sounds like good advice. I did give them a flourish tab when I moved them. Whether I cut them now or later I will have a good wait. I know that cutting fast growing aquatic plants stimulates growth, but I guess that's not the case for slow growing root feeders - especially plants that are sensitive to change.

The OP's photo is part of his/her signature, therefore you cannot click to enlarge

@seangee , post some recent pics of the plant(s) in question, so we all have a better view ;)

Most reactions

Back