Trifasciata issues.

Spiskits

Reaction score
Trifasciata rainbowfish has developed these horrible lesions in the last week or so. I'm really annoyed as I ordered six of them from a well know fish store last year, and this is the last one I have. Three grew well and then just died for no apparent reason, two developed a swollen head and gill on one side, (obviously dead now) and this one is about 15 months old and has these sores all over it. I also have four lake Tebera rainbows that are over three years old and they are in perfect condition, as are my four, 5-year-old Boesemani's. I also have a few Congo tetra which are also perfect. My tank is 150 gallons, water parameters are spot on (API liquid test kit) and water changes are currently twice weekly, 30% mid-week, and minimum 50% at weekends.
I've had nothing but problems with fish I bought from this store, and I won't be returning. When I make them aware of the issues I've had they seem unconcerned and uninterested. They tried to tell me my tank water had problems even though they use the same test kit as I have (I think they forgot they recommended it to me) and they don't listen when I tell them I have very mature rainbows in the tank with no health issues.
So, is this mycobacterium or just a fungal issue? I've been adding salt to the tank but the matter is getting worse.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_20211103_165701.jpg
    IMG_20211103_165701.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20211103_165711.jpg
    IMG_20211103_165711.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20211103_165713.jpg
    IMG_20211103_165713.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20211103_165720.jpg
    IMG_20211103_165720.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 32
Probably the start of ulcers caused by fish TB.

Try feeding them lots of plant matter. Rainbowfish should get at least 50% of their diet from plant based foods.

Reduce the frozen bloodworms in their diet if you feed that to them.

They sometimes get pink tumours around the gills and this seems to be genetic rather than disease.

Probably the start of ulcers caused by fish TB.

Try feeding them lots of plant matter. Rainbowfish should get at least 50% of their diet from plant based foods.

Reduce the frozen bloodworms in their diet if you feed that to them.

They sometimes get pink tumours around the gills and this seems to be genetic rather than disease.
Thank you. Am I correct in thinking this can't be cured and is contagious?

If it is Fish TB, there is no cure and the bacteria will be in your tank. Fish TB is contagious and any fish that has been exposed to that tank or the trifasciatas could be infected.

You can try adding salt and feeding the fish lots of plant matter to see if it helps, but if it doesn't, then the fish will probably die in a month or so.

If you want to try salt, use 2 heaped tablespoons of rock salt (aquarium salt or swimming pool salt) for every 20 litres of water. Keep the salt in there for 2-4 weeks.

Most reactions

Back