Tricky tap water

Hello @StevenF and thanks.
Is it safe to say that a freshwater pH7 GH6 KH4 is suitable to most fishes ?
Except of course for some very special fishes that need very special conditions, for example some wild Bettas pH4 GH0 KH0.

Steven can/will respond...but no, this is not a correct statement. It depends what you mean by "most fishes." Fish that need moderately hard water in order to function (all livebearers, many of the rainbowfishes, rift lake species, and some others) cannot manage in softer water. In very general terms, a GH above 10 dGH (180 ppm) and a basic pH (above 7.0) are minimum for such fish.

On the opposite end, very soft water fish live in natural waters having a GH of zero, and a very acidic pH (in the 4's and 5's depending upon the watercourse) and these species must have comparable water parameters in order for their physiology to function properly. Fish like most of the characins in South America, and many of the cyprinids in South and SE Asia are in this group.

There are species that live "in between" these two extremes, if we may so call them. There is no "one size fits all" in freshwater fish requirements when it comes to water parameters. Note, I emphasized freshwater; brackish water species and marine (ocean) species are a very different "kettle of fish." Each speci8es of freshwater fish on this planet has evolved to function within a quite narrow environmental range, which includes not only water parameters but other factors. As soon as the fish is forced out of this specific range, its life becomes more difficult. The aquatic environment is the most demanding of all habitats for living creatures.

I mentioned this in my post #2, the OP needs to check with the water authority as thy may be adding something. I live in Vancouver and the source water is zero GH/KH with a pH of 7.0 to 7.2, but the pH is due to the addition of soda ash to raise pH (without affecting GH/KH).
They add phosphorus.

Please note I said :
Except of course for some very special fishes that need very special conditions
And many fishes tolerate a pH 5 to 8 like Iriatherina - 6.5 to 7.5 Tanichthyses - Pseudomugil paskai 6 to 7.5 - Pseudomugil gertrudae 4.5 to 7.5 meaning pH 7is suitable.

Please note I said :

And many fishes tolerate a pH 5 to 8 like Iriatherina - 6.5 to 7.5 Tanichthyses - Pseudomugil paskai 6 to 7.5 - Pseudomugil gertrudae 4.5 to 7.5 meaning pH 7is suitable.

A pH of 7 is suitable to these specific fish, but not all freshwater fish. Some need much less, some more, and they are the majority.

I said : most fishes and except of course for some very special fishes that need very special conditions ;)

Most reactions

Back