Trev's Freshwater Story

Trev_Miester

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

Figured I'd start one of these journals here to tell you about my aquariums and all that happens along the way.

I currently have a 20gal that has been operational for about 8 months. In the tank I have a Red Devil that has reached about 6-1/2" long(don't get mad yet).

I also have a 75gal that is currently cycling to move my Red Devil into.

Hootie:
IMG_0929.jpg
IMG_0815.jpg

20gal:
IMG_0246.jpg

75gal Progress:

leak test:
IMG_0740.jpg

New Lids:
IMG_0819.jpg

Shipment of the goods :)
IMG_0874.jpg
IMG_0877.jpg

Experimenting with the wood:
IMG_0879.jpg

Filled and cycle started:

Was pretty hazy for a couple days
photo.JPG

Cleared up overnight
smile.png

IMG_0982.jpg

Night light:
IMG_0891.jpg

DiddleBug said:
Oh! Very nice!  Your fish is very pretty too!
biggrin.png

Thank you very much! I'm excited for the tank to finish cycling.

Quick question to anyone that might read this. Do you know what would cause the water to clear up all of the sudden early in a cycle?

Could of just settled in the gravel or your filter could have cleared it up.

sawickib said:
Could of just settled in the gravel or your filter could have cleared it up.

That's what i was figuring. Just wasn't really sure, because it was clear when I first filled it and then it got cloudy. I'm assuming it was something that came out with the tannins maybe. Oh well, good now.

Thank you for your advice.

Wow! I love your tanks and beautiful fish :) You seem really nice! Welcome :)

mrstwalker said:
Wow! I love your tanks and beautiful fish :) You seem really nice! Welcome :)
Thank you! The aggression of Hootie humbles me ;)

Do you have a journal of your own?

Did any of your tannins come of your driftwood? I assume you ordered mopani driftwood from Dr. foster and smith; because I put 4 pieces (2 med, 2 large) in my 55 gallon and it looks like tea, only soaked it once before hand.

EDIT: I also would think about getting another filter IMO, it looks like you have a aquaclear 50, I have one on my 55 gallon with a aqueon 55/75, but on my 75 gallon I have two aqueon 55/75 running, its up to you though helps with the water turning and bioload.

sawickib said:
Did any of your tannins come of your driftwood? I assume you ordered mopani driftwood from Dr. foster and smith; because I put 4 pieces (2 med, 2 large) in my 55 gallon and it looks like tea, only soaked it once before hand.

EDIT: I also would think about getting another filter IMO, it looks like you have a aquaclear 50, I have one on my 55 gallon with a aqueon 55/75, but on my 75 gallon I have two aqueon 55/75 running, its up to you though helps with the water turning and bioload.

Yes that is where I got the mopani from, and It did come out of the wood. I like the subtle color change though. Different than the clear. I Boiled all three pieces for probably 3 hours or so.

As for the filtration, I actually have the 110. So I believe I should be ok with that.

Ahhh ok you should be fine, actually never seen a 110 cool, and yea my water is pretty much brown :p

sawickib said:
Ahhh ok you should be fine, actually never seen a 110 cool, and yea my water is pretty much brown :p
Ya, I boiled it till it wouldn't get any lighter. It'll leak forever, but the extent of how much plateau's. Water changes!

Trev_Miester said:

Wow! I love your tanks and beautiful fish
smile.png
You seem really nice! Welcome
smile.png
Thank you! The aggression of Hootie humbles me
wink.png

Do you have a journal of your own?

No i dont but i want to start a video diaries of my tanks soon :)

Day 6: of cycle...nothing!! Haha still between 2-4ppm ammonia and no nitrites yet. Wait wait wait

On the bright side, the water really cleared up and is a nice "gold" color. Diggin' it!

image.jpg
image.jpg

Most reactions

Back