Treatment Tank Or Betta Palace?

ReMz

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Seeing as my Timone and Pumba (my oscar and bloodparrot) have recovered fully. I decided my 10 gallon treatment tank would better serve as Dodger's kingdom :lol:. He is the only guy I have at my house now :(. Might as well spoil him, right? :p

He's perked up a lot with the new environment and the otos are loving the new tank too. I'm not content with the decorating at all..... it needs a ton of work, and I need to let the plants grow out a bit (all real except for 1). We'll see.... I'll update this thread when I'm happy with how the tank looks.

Got some pics of Dodger too. He's changed/grown quite a bit. Actually almost 3 1/2" from head to tail now. He's quite large :hyper:

dsc005327494558zv6.jpg

dsc005287459528br1.jpg

dsc005317485321iw3.jpg

dsc005307476540zf7.jpg

I think at this point he was sick of posing for pictures lol
dsc005297468511jb2.jpg

When I first got him
dodger2ht8.jpg

What a palace! I have a guy in a 10 gallon, and one in a 15 gallon, they sure do seem to benefit from all the extra space dont they? makes me want to never put one in anything below 5 gallons again! And hes gorgeous btw

What a palace! I have a guy in a 10 gallon, and one in a 15 gallon, they sure do seem to benefit from all the extra space dont they? makes me want to never put one in anything below 5 gallons again! And hes gorgeous btw

Yeah.... lol. 5 gallons seems small after seeing him zoom around this tank :lol:

O.O I think you stole my CT! lol did you get him at PetCo? That's where I got mine, they look exactly alike... crazy!!

Just to warn you, those variegated plants are not true aquatics, and in the next few months will start to rot, polluting the tank. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Very nice tank though, it is great to be able to give a betta a good bit of room - plus having space for some tank-mates makes things a bit more interesting

Just to warn you, those variegated plants are not true aquatics, and in the next few months will start to rot, polluting the tank. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Very nice tank though, it is great to be able to give a betta a good bit of room - plus having space for some tank-mates makes things a bit more interesting
Thanks for the heads up. I'm oblivious to planted tanks.... just getting into them. Any suggestions for some heavy plant cover towards the back of the tank that requires minimum maintenance. And where to buy them? :p

I thought those plants looked a bit odd for aquatic. Give it to Topfin to sell plants commercially that are not actually aquatic. :rolleyes:

Cabomba is easy and nice looking - most shops will sell it

That's kind of what I thought, but apparently it's a cold-water plant - explaining why it tends to disintegrate and shed all over the tropical tank - which requires a higher light than some of the low-lights.
Spent longer cleaning mine out than growing it, and I've heard a number of references to this happening, although it's a beautiful plant which works well for some.

I've personally had better luck with Diandra, but that seems to be a die-at-one-end-and-grow-at-the-other type, at least in my tanks, but on the plus side, dying bits can be pinched off and removed easily, unlike the thousands of tiny Cabomba leaf fragments.

One of my big favorites is Cardamine Lyrata, which can be used in odd places or as a graceful, latticed forest you can see through that's provided hours of amusement for a betta I have in a little 5 gal., in swimming through the maze and never using the identical route twice.
It seems to have moderate light requirements and be a column feeder which doesn't seem to need an enriched or deep substrate but does need fish and the odd small dose of Flourish to survive and do well, and I suspect it's an excellent ammonia sucker.

Of course, every tank seems to be different as far as which plants do well and which will 'buy the (algae) farm'...

He is a big handsome lad isn't he :drool:

What the thing in the tank that looks like a slice of toast though :huh:

Most reactions

Back