Transporting Fish

hopkigg

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi, i was hoping someone might be able to give me some advice. I have just bought a 6 and a half foot tank which is full of fish, i need to transport them 3-4 hours back home and then obviously transfer all the water back in to the tank, so it could be a good 6 hours till they are back in the tank. There is about 20 fish including silver dollars, clown loaches, royal plec, a few other plecs, bala sharks. I was just wondering how the best way to do this would be. I have got two polystyrene boxes that i got when i bought two huge plecos, and i have fish bags. Will they be ok in the bags and the boxes or do i need to get something else.

can anyone help as i really dont want to lose any of the fish. Also the tank that i am buying comes with an fx5, will this be enough filtration for a 6 and a half foot tank, i have an external fluval 403 on my tank at the moment, would it be best to have both or just fx5

It's amazing....we posted almost the same topic! I know how stressed you must feel about this ....I feel so guilty of moving...

For small fish, use the fish bags and fill them no more than 12/3 full of water leaving 2/3 of the volume for air. For larger fish, use a bucket that you can put a lid on to minimize spilling. Again you will need some room for air in the container, don't fill it with water but leave a lot of air space. I moved several fish to a convention by using a small amount of water, maybe 2 inches deep, in a 10 gallon tank that was sitting on the back seat of my car. When I got to the convention, about 4 hours from home, I set the tank on a dresser in the motel room and filled it the rest of the way with water from the local supply. I used some dechlorinator and the water was about as high in TDS as my home water. The fish thrived in that tank on top of the motel room dresser for 3 days before I bagged the fish for sale at the convention auction. The main thing to worry about is that the transport happens with plenty of air for the fish to use and enough water to cover the fish themselves. When you get to your destination, if the new tap water is anything like where you moved from, just fill the tank with dechlorinated tap water and use a drip acclimation for the fish.

I brought some fish a few months ago and siad "will they be ok because i have a 4 hour drive home"

the response i got was " some of our fish have been flown in from the far east, so 4 hours should be ok" :blush:

im guessing thats 12 hours +

Most reactions

Back