Transfering Fish

linda1503

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi Can anyone give me some advice please. I was given a 2ft tank which is now fully cycled, all levels are fine. i am really enjoying fish keeping so i am going to buy a newer and larger tank in the next week or so and need some advice about transfering the fish over. I will be using the same filter from the old tank and putting it in the new tank, what can i do with my fish during this time? I have 4 platys 3 neons 1 aged zebra and a peppered cat. I will also be buying new sand cos the old gravel looks horrible. I am new to this so please can some kind person give me a step by step guide so i don't lose any of my little guys.

Hi

Cool a new and bigger tank! :)

Can you just clarify when you're planning to 'tear down' the existing tank and 'put up' the new one ?

Would I be right in assumnig that the bigger tank is going to go where the old one was, so you need to house the fish temporarily for a few hours ?

If it's just for a few hours, just use a bucket that has never been used for any sort of cleaning (e.g, no residue of bleach or soap etc), syphon off tank water into the bucket and then net the fish and put them in the bucket. Add a heater and air stone to keep them happy for hours.

When you set up your new tank, if you've got some spare water containers (again must never have had bleach / soap in them), save some of the water from your existing fish tank, so that it's not all tap water (although don't worry too much if you can't do this). Clean the new substrate, put it in the new tank and fill with tap water mixed with old tank water (if you managed to salvage any) to the right temperature and add a water conditioner to dechlorinate the water.

Now the new tank has dechlorinated water in it, add the mature filter and run it to clear the water (don't worry if the water is not perfectly clear before adding the fish, just as long as it doesn't look like soup).

My preferred method of acclimatising the fish to the new tank water is to lower the water in the bucket to about 3" deep and drip water from the new tank into the bucket using air hose to sypon the water, with a clamp on the hose to reduce the flow to a drip. Let the water drip in for about an hour until the water is deeper in the bucket (about 2/3rds full say). Keep a thermometer in the top of the bucket just to make sure the water temperature doesn't go down too much during the process. Now net the fish from the bucket and put them straight in the new tank.

Give them a couple of hours to settle in before feeding them.

Happy moving!

Hi Thanks for getting back to me so fast! I will be getting my new tank before the end of jan and yes its going in the same place as my old tank. I was a bit worried about using sand because i've never used it before and thought it might take a while to settle down. Good suggestion about dripping water into the bucket the fish are in, i'll definately do that. ( Must buy a new bucket cos i've only got one to put the fish in). I am going to print off your advice and refer to it at the time. If you think of anymore hints or tips please put them on this thread. Thanks you. :flowers:

The only other tip I can think of is don't feed the fish the night before the move and wait until they're in the new tank before feeding them again (under no circumstances give them food in the bucket). It'll just help to keep the ammonia levels down in the bucket... less waste... .. less stress...

Good luck!

I had to do a similar thing the other day (and I'm a newbie!). I had an offer on a 4' tank that was too hard to give up, and my other tank was not fully cycled yet. So ..... the advice I gave the tank owner was to NOT touch anything, and this is what I did :

- arrive, and bag the fish
- wood into a bucket
- plants into another bucket
- pack everything into the car
- at the last minute, turn off the filter, seal the water in (I think I did this ok), and drive like hell back home

Into my tank goes ...

- the filter
- the wood
- the bagged fish
- get the filter going (this took a bit longer than expected)
- release the fish slowly

I know I'm not out of the woods yet, but all fish still seem happy after 1.5 days.

Just a thought, you say the new tank is larger than the old one and you are planning on using your existing filter but can it handle the larger tank's capacity?

Most reactions

Back