Toxic Aquarium

Iamca

Reaction score
Hi,

I already have a few tanks going.. but this new one i got is a like the tank a new problem! it came from my uncle who used it to keep snakes and before the snakes, lizards.... as we speak im filling it up with water its a 78 gallon so im not quite done yet! rocks already in the tank are fish friendly exp for the waste created from the lizards.. and thats my question.. right now i have 3 box filters in the tank.. with a lot of carbon.. i plan on cleaning the rocks at least 20 times with a siphon tube... and other ideas.. or thoughts?
Thanks Carine

oh and sorry about the spelling... and well everything else 2 :) im doing a few things at the sametime :)

First of all, check the glass thickness. Some tanks are reptile specific and made with thinner glass that isn't designed to hold the weight of water. Windsor-Aquatics would be the authority on glass thickness required for aquariums, being a tank designer & builder.

If the tank is designed for aquatic use, clean it and the rocks with a mixture of 1 part bleach to 20 parts water. Rinse thorighly afterward, & double up on dechlorinator for the first fill.

First of all, check the glass thickness. Some tanks are reptile specific and made with thinner glass that isn't designed to hold the weight of water. Windsor-Aquatics would be the authority on glass thickness required for aquariums, being a tank designer & builder.

If the tank is designed for aquatic use, clean it and the rocks with a mixture of 1 part bleach to 20 parts water. Rinse thorighly afterward, & double up on dechlorinator for the first fill.

Wait, I would NOT want to clean the rocks with bleach, it may well absorb some of it and release it back into the aquarium. A better idea would be to scrub and then boil or bake the rocks to sterilize them, Bleach is ok for the tank though.

I've used bleach solution on rocks before without any problems at all. I have them in many of my tanks.

Wait, I would NOT want to clean the rocks with bleach, it may well absorb some of it and release it back into the aquarium. A better idea would be to scrub and then boil or bake the rocks to sterilize them, Bleach is ok for the tank though.

boiling seems 2 be a good idea.. how long i wonder?
Thxx Carine

why not just dump the rocks and get new ones? if your going to boil the rocks put them in a big pot thats bubbling and leave em for 15 minutes

why not just dump the rocks and get new ones? if your going to boil the rocks put them in a big pot thats bubbling and leave em for 15 minutes
yup i dumped them :) thx :)
anyways probably gonna go with salt .. 80gallons enough?
thx
Carine x

Most reactions

Back