Topless Tanks

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

degsod

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Ok, probably a silly question, I have a clearseal Topless tank which is heavily planted, at present I have neons, raspbora espei and a siamese fighter in it. The neons kept on jumping out of the tank so I ended up getting a condensation cover forthe tank (which has also reduced the evaporiation by about 98%

What fish do people keep in these tanks, I particulary like the Fluval Osaka tanks but have been put off. The water parameters are all zero's for NH3,NO2 and NO3 and the water is pH6.8 and soft.

TIA

Topless is always best... oh wait your talking about fish tanks. I would say to get a glass top.

Well, nothing that would jump out. Bettas are known to jump out. Nothing that goes to the top to breathe real air, I guess... Oh, and I agree.

I'm sure most fish would jump given the opportunity lol and I was going to get an Osaka at one point until I saw pics of the build quality of the tanks and they didn't look good.

Owning a topless tank myself (albeit only with hillstream loaches, plecs and shrimp) and working at an LFS with 3 of them (on display, so a busy room) I see no problem with topless tanks.

Just avoid surface dwelling fish (like hatchets, butterfly fish, halfbeaks) or anything prone to being shocked like silver sharks/dollars.

I find increasingly that bettas only tend to jump when kept in very small tanks, otherwise they rarely jump. They arent big jumpers, they are just so popularly kept in topless containers that theres more reports of them jumping due to the sheer number of people keeping them IMO.

It's also easy to take measures to reduce the chance of the fish jumping, like adding floating plants or lowering the water level.

If you choose the fish right and are sensible about tank placement, IMO topless tanks are well worth the very small chance that one fish out of a whole tank will jump out for whatever reason and end up on the floor because they can look so good when done well.

Having said that, if you dont want plants or decor sticking above the surface of the water and can be bothered keeping a cover glass clean, you may as well just get one.

Edit to add: :eek: The Osakas build quality didn't look good!? I thought it looked great!

acturally I also like topless my self, that is before I introduce denisonii barb to my tank. These fish can seriousely jump I lost 1 due to suicide, and after that I decide to go back to my ex set with a top. If u kept tetra/shrimp only in a community planted aquarium I would really suggest to go topless.

Choose your inhabitants appropriately and they wont jump. i have a betta whom doesnt jump in an open top tank...

I've removed the extra posts for you, saltynay. :)

I wouldn't keep a betta or gouramis in an uncovered tank, or corydoras either.

i currently have a topless aquarium and haven't had any trouble with fish jumping out. i have a mixed aquarium between fancy goldfish and tropicals (i know this is not advised but i've done my research and haven't had any complications)

Black moor goldfish
Bubble eyed goldfish
plecos x2
Balloon mollies x2
Sailfin molly
African spotted leaf fish
Emerald Cory's catfish

hope this helps

i currently have a topless aquarium and haven't had any trouble with fish jumping out. i have a mixed aquarium between fancy goldfish and tropicals (i know this is not advised but i've done my research and haven't had any complications)

Black moor goldfish
Bubble eyed goldfish
plecos x2
Balloon mollies x2
Sailfin molly
African spotted leaf fish
Emerald Cory's catfish

hope this helps

You know the coldwater fish wont be happy in the warmer water, right? You say you've done your research but what were your findings? Because mine are that there is less oxygen in the warmer water which goldfish wont like. And they're more susceptible to disease at the higher temperature.

Three-Fingers: Yeah I saw some pics of one set up on a forum post somewhere and they were discussing the build quality and it seemed quite bad, might have been an early model though. It also looks a lot different in a pic of the actual unit too.

I quite like the Osaka, all the ones I have seen have very good build quality.

I must have frisky neons as they love to jump!!!

Probably just some early build quality issues then lol. I will admit I'd like to see one in person to check out how they look.

Most reactions

Back