Top Middle And Bottom

guyt

Reaction score
hello i have had my tank running for two weeks and about to buy some fish to start a community tank and would like to know what fish pepole would recomend so that i have a spread of fish in the top middle and bottom of my tank i have the aqua one 620t i have read that one inch of fish to one galon of water is recomended and would like to have a range of differant fish in the tank an advice is welcom

I love my golden dojo loach as a bottom feeder. They get to be 5-6 inches and can be trained to eat from your hand. You can keep a single as they are not shoaling.

Zebra Danio and/or Glofish: mostly top to middle
Neon Tetras: mostly middle (many users don't recommend them for new tanks, but my own experience has not shown this to be a problem with two tanks so far)
Corydora catfish: bottom
Dwarf or regular Gourami: top/middle/bottom (tend to move all around)
Bolivian Rams: hardy, bottom

Is your tank cycled yet?

thanks for your replys i will resarch these fish . yes my tank is cycled i have a ph level of 6.5 and nitreats is 0.1 which the chart i have said was ok to add fish is this right

If your tank has been switched on and setup from day one, and has been 'running' for 2 weeks, this is not actually long enough for it to have been cycled properly, unless you have added some mature media from another established tank.

If your tank has been switched on and setup from day one, and has been 'running' for 2 weeks, this is not actually long enough for it to have been cycled properly, unless you have added some mature media from another established tank.
thanks iv add a product called filter start that said it eill help to cut down the start up time. how long do you recomend i wait before i add any fish?

Bacteria in a bottle i'm afraid arn't very reliable, I found this out when I started with my tank. I assumed from reading the instructions on the back of the bottle I could add fish straight away, but sadly not. Bought the kit, added the free filter start, added 6 danios, and poor things only last a weekend. A fishless cycle can tank anything upto 6 weeks to grow the good bacteria. I'm just nearing the end of my cycle now, and its been 2 months.

Bacteria in a bottle i'm afraid arn't very reliable, I found this out when I started with my tank. I assumed from reading the instructions on the back of the bottle I could add fish straight away, but sadly not. Bought the kit, added the free filter start, added 6 danios, and poor things only last a weekend. A fishless cycle can tank anything upto 6 weeks to grow the good bacteria. I'm just nearing the end of my cycle now, and its been 2 months.

thanks iv just read the fishless cycle info and am more clued up in what i need to do now

My fishless cycle with mature media used took three weeks in total. For a bottom feeder with a lot of character I recommened khuli loaches, I have four in my tank and they are great. The "one inch of fish to one galon of water" is a much debated rule, as fish vary in size so much, some being long and thin, others short and fat, so take that rule with a pinch of salt. Just keep putting your stocking ideas on here and there are a LOT of people with some serious knowledge that will let you know if you have your mix and quantities right, as thats what I did. Research your choices carefully and ask lots of questions, as some just won't get on with each other and will stress each other out. I have some stunning fancy guppies (cobra, diamond blue and red snakeskins), but the last thing I would want to add is something that will immediately be a fin nipper. Pick carefully and you will have a happy and beautiful tank that will be a fantastic addition to your home.

Most reactions

Back