Top came off of thermometer and snail died

Finn1231

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So today i did a water change after my snail died and found the top came off of my thermometer. It smelled like rotten eggs and while all my shrimp lived, my mystery snail and all its babies died. Could it be related? My aquarium still smells a bit but i dont want to do too many water changes and stress out the shrimp.

Attachments

• F56F215B-D766-4082-BAB1-1C93DF6C4D96.jpeg
    F56F215B-D766-4082-BAB1-1C93DF6C4D96.jpeg
    166.5 KB · Views: 59
Question does the thermometer still work? If is still reading correctly the fluid inside it didn't leak out. In my opinion it is the fluid inside the thermometer what be the most likely cause of any deaths in the tank.

The rest of the thermometer is glass metal weights, and either wax or low melting tint plastic to hold it all together. I would doubt that these would have caused the deaths.

Question does the thermometer still work? If is still reading correctly the fluid inside it didn't leak out. In my opinion it is the fluid inside the thermometer what be the most likely cause of any deaths in the tank.

The rest of the thermometer is glass metal weights, and either wax or low melting tint plastic to hold it all together. I would doubt that these would have caused the deaths.
And most cheap thermometers use alcohol for the fluid, likely not toxic at the concentrations experienced if broken.

Most reactions

Back