Top 10 Least Aggresive Chiclids

The most peaceful cichlids?

Well from my own personal experience, Dwarf Flag cichlids are.

Laetacara Curviceps.

They're more peaceful than even my Apistogramma species.

I never found Rams to be very peaceful at all.

I have not kept ten of what I would call peaceful cichlids. But out of the ones I have kept, I would regard Keyhole cichlids to be the most peaceful. A lot of the dwarf cichlids are pretty peaceful, but it is all relevant. I have had Pike cichlids that took no notice of any othe fish, and I have known a friends pike kill everything in his tank. It is a hard question to answer. The only real answer is suck it and see. But that obviously doesn't mean put a Midas in with your prized discus (although I am sure somebody will say they have done just that successfully).

The only cichlids I have kept which never started any trouble were threadfins (A.heckelli), and I have kept a LOT of the medium-large sized cichlids (although to be honest I have not kept most of the smaller cichlids)

However, cichlids which people have mentioned above that I have kept and have found can be complete @rseholes are ...

L.curviceps
sevs
kribs

Keyholes or a single angelfish seem to be the best bet for commonly found cichlids (excluding all the dwarfs)

I have to say my sevs are peaceful, great if you want a large fish in all honesty, but even then putting it in a tank with all those other fish you have is a big unknown I'd say.

The trouble with threads like this is that combinations of species react differently, 2 fish in isolation that are fine in different tanks may want to kill each other when put together...likewise, as mentioned, a species could be seen as harmless but you could get a particular fish with a not so nice personality from a different brood etc and it may be uber nasty...

I think the best chance you have at having a peaceful cichlid community tank keeping all the stocking you have is to go with something like bolivian rams or apistos just because they aren't too large and so if they are fiesty then the damage is limited. Also note you need to look at the required pH and temp etc for any new fish and ensure all the fish can co-exit in the same parameters just fine, and some cichlids will need a BIG tank so do proper research yourself! You never did say the size of your tank did you?

If however you are really into getting the most out of cichlidae in your tank you may want to re-home some of what you have leaving maybe only the catfish?

Just my thoughts...

Most reactions

Back