too much charcoal carbon in filter?

finfayce

Fish Addict
Reaction score
i have Pennplax 600 filters with refillable charcoal cups. is it possible to put too much material in the filter cup? i usually do 1/2 full? also sorry if i’m calling the black stuff the wrong name ! lol

Carbon isn't normally needed in aquariums unless you have chemicals or heavy metals in the water that you need to remove. Even then a big daily water change for a week will get rid of most bad things in the water.

If you want to use carbon, use it. Carbon works best when there is a quick layer of carbon and the water slowly passes through it. This gives the carbon more time to remove chemicals from the water. Most power filters with carbon cartridges push too much water through the carbon too quickly and it is a waste of money.

Personally I would remove the carbon completely and just add a sponge where the carbon normally goes.

Carbon does remove plant fertiliser and fish medications so you have to remove the carbon when treating fish with chemical medications or if you are adding an aquarium plant fertiliser.

Carbon isn't normally needed in aquariums unless you have chemicals or heavy metals in the water that you need to remove. Even then a big daily water change for a week will get rid of most bad things in the water.

If you want to use carbon, use it. Carbon works best when there is a quick layer of carbon and the water slowly passes through it. This gives the carbon more time to remove chemicals from the water. Most power filters with carbon cartridges push too much water through the carbon too quickly and it is a waste of money.

Personally I would remove the carbon completely and just add a sponge where the carbon normally goes.

Carbon does remove plant fertiliser and fish medications so you have to remove the carbon when treating fish with chemical medications or if you are adding an aquarium plant fertiliser.
I concur. :)

the filter has carbon cup pn top and a big sponge below.
thanks for your help.

As mentioned, activated carbon, although great at adsorbing impurities is generally felt to be unnecessary in modern aquariums, especially if you have plants (as it will 'steal' food that the plants could otherwise use).
Having written the above, in the old days we always used activated carbon to aid in water purification and it's used a LOT in water filters for human consumption.
The 'trouble' with activated carbon in the aquarium, is that it is relatively short lived so unless you use a lot and replace it frequently, it has little value (and even less value if you have any plants). AND, since you'd need a fair amount and replace it frequently, it's like a hole in your wallet!!!!

As mentioned, activated carbon, although great at adsorbing impurities is generally felt to be unnecessary in modern aquariums, especially if you have plants (as it will 'steal' food that the plants could otherwise use).
Having written the above, in the old days we always used activated carbon to aid in water purification and it's used a LOT in water filters for human consumption.
The 'trouble' with activated carbon in the aquarium, is that it is relatively short lived so unless you use a lot and replace it frequently, it has little value (and even less value if you have any plants). AND, since you'd need a fair amount and replace it frequently, it's like a hole in your wallet!!!!
wow. i guess the average person buys into product information. i thought it was a necessary thing. thanks for the insight.

Carbon isn't normally needed in aquariums unless you have chemicals or heavy metals in the water that you need to remove.
I totally agree with you. :)
Activated carbon reduces the fishy odor and yellowish color that naturally develops in an aquarium. So far, carbon seems like a good option for filtration media in my aquarium.
But there are toxins that carbon does not filter out. And these toxins are a big deal because they are prevalent within an aquarium ecosystem. It does not last a long time before it reaches its maximum absorbing and adsorbing potential.
Carbon seems like an added cost. I would have liked it better if it can filter out ALL toxic contaminants and pollutants if I had to change it every month.

In the Olden Days, (pre-2000 :p ), I only ever used carbon after a period of tank illness, when I'd added a medication and then wanted it removing from the water after it had apparently done its job.

Hmmm. So maybe this is part of the problem with my plants. Filter came with a carbon filled floss cartridge and that's what I've been using. Had no idea it was removing the flourish I was adding for the plants. Although it has been running for a few months. Doesn't carbon wear out after some time?

Doesn't carbon wear out after some time?
Carbon eventually becomes full and stop adsorbing things. Then it does nothing except hold some bacteria and trap dirt. As to how quickly it becomes full, that depends on how much carbon is in the filter, how much fertiliser is in the water, and the grade of the carbon (normal, activated, high activated).

If the carbon has been in the filter for a couple of months, it's probably full and isn't doing anything.

In the Olden Days, (pre-2000 :p ), I only ever used carbon after a period of tank illness, when I'd added a medication and then wanted it removing from the water after it had apparently done its job.
thanks good to know :)

Most reactions

Back