Too May?

Kiwi Clint

Reaction score
so there i was thinking i had the fish for my new tank sorted.....then i saw these glass catfish today... and it looks like the cardinals i was going to get in a few weeks will need to make way for the glass catfish

does this sound okay for a 40G tank?

17 harlequin rasborras (already in tank)
3 kuhli loaches (in tank)
10 glass catfish
3 angels (read that having 2 was not good?)

any thoughts anyone?

Me personally think it's too much. I think you're pretty much stocked as it is without the glass fish. Possibly over with the Angels. The angels will obviously get quite big which takes up tank size.

Two angels are better then 3 because if 2 of them pair up they will bully and possibly kill the 3rd.
Id just get 1 angel and you should be ably to manage that stocking

I wouldn't add the glass cats.

* 17-20 harlequin rasboras
* 6-8 kuhli loaches - not the heaviest bio-load ever, will benefit from being in larger numbers.
* 10 glass catfish
* 3 angels (read that having 2 was not good?) - I would personally only keep them in groups of 6+ in much larger tanks, here I would have a pair of Bolivian rams or keyholes instead.. but if you insist on angels, I would go for 2 over 3 because if two out of three pair up, they will kill the third. Two is not ideal either though.

I wouldn't add the glass cats.

* 17-20 harlequin rasboras
* 6-8 kuhli loaches - not the heaviest bio-load ever, will benefit from being in larger numbers.
* 10 glass catfish
* 3 angels (read that having 2 was not good?) - I would personally only keep them in groups of 6+ in much larger tanks, here I would have a pair of Bolivian rams or keyholes instead.. but if you insist on angels, I would go for 2 over 3 because if two out of three pair up, they will kill the third. Two is not ideal either though.
hey Kat, so far i have seen you giving great advice on nearly every post i have read....Us newbies REALLY appreciate your advice, so a big thanks from all us newbies out there!

you suggested a couple of rams to me on a previous post last week, I had a look at some today in the lfs (and bought the freaky kuhlis at the same time!) They are extremly impressive fish, but wish they were a little bigger "I think i suffer from cake and eat it too syndrome"!! Didnt see any keyholes today, but from what i have read they grow to a good size, so may well try to look for them.

Again Kat, thanks or your help....I am sure you have saved 1,000s of fish from death at the hands of us inexperienced newbies!!
Clint

Two angels are better then 3 because if 2 of them pair up they will bully and possibly kill the 3rd.
Id just get 1 angel and you should be ably to manage that stocking
Thanks for the advice mate, it is much appreciated!

hey Kat, so far i have seen you giving great advice on nearly every post i have read....Us newbies REALLY appreciate your advice, so a big thanks from all us newbies out there!
:blush:

you suggested a couple of rams to me on a previous post last week, I had a look at some today in the lfs (and bought the freaky kuhlis at the same time!) They are extremly impressive fish, but wish they were a little bigger "I think i suffer from cake and eat it too syndrome"!! Didnt see any keyholes today, but from what i have read they grow to a good size, so may well try to look for them.

Bolivian rams (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus) grow to 4-5 inches. Do avoid blue rams (M. ramerezi, including the gold colour morph) as they're fragile.. and also grow only to 3 inches :) If you go for rams, do make sure you know 100% how to ID the two different species!

:blush:

Bolivian rams (Mikrogeophagus altispinosus) grow to 4-5 inches. Do avoid blue rams (M. ramerezi, including the gold colour morph) as they're fragile.. and also grow only to 3 inches :) If you go for rams, do make sure you know 100% how to ID the two different species!

Cheers Kat
they had three types at the pet store
bolivian butterflys (which i assume is just another name for em!), Balloon rams (which looked pretty cool) and the blues... But if the bolivians get that big, thats what I'm after! CHEERS!

Cheers Kat
they had three types at the pet store
bolivian butterflys (which i assume is just another name for em!), Balloon rams (which looked pretty cool) and the blues... But if the bolivians get that big, thats what I'm after! CHEERS!

Ballon rams are another morph of blue rams.. just with more health problems.

Most reactions

Back