Too Many Water Changes?

minnnt

Fish Expert
Reaction score
Is there such a thing as too many water changes? Would it be ok to do say a 10 litre water change on a 180 litre tank every day? Would the tank benefit from it or would it cause problems?

Cheers.

It might get tricky if you were doing pH adjustments and such but I know that a lot of people do 50% weekly water changes, especially when high dosing ferts. So basically if the water temp is kept consistent and all the de-chlorinators added, I don't see what the problem would be. (unless your fish get stressed out easily). I am not an expert though, maybe some else can shed some light?

My question to you is, why would you want to do them every day, lol, I find it annoying enough every week!

I don't mind doing them, quite enjoy it!! :blink:

This is what i wanted to know too, if it helps then i will do it, but if it is going to hinder the fish then i wont. I currently do a 25 litre change on it a week so it's more than 10%

Love doing water changes? Where do you live? I have three tanks here with your name scrolled all over them haha

Is there such a thing as too much fresh air? A water change I like fresh air to us. When kept in a house or room germs are more concentrated and you get sick easy like on a air plane or school. Water changes keep fish healthy.

You could do daily 90% water changes with no problems. Your bacteria is still all there in the filter and some in the water. Your fish will still poop and eat to feed it.

Lots of discus people do daily 90% wc with not problems. Some have systems were there is always new water being added to the tank it's like a drip system with and over flow. There is no such thing as too many water changes.

Is there such a thing as too much fresh air? A water change I like fresh air to us. When kept in a house or room germs are more concentrated and you get sick easy like on a air plane or school. Water changes keep fish healthy.

You could do daily 90% water changes with no problems. Your bacteria is still all there in the filter and some in the water. Your fish will still poop and eat to feed it.

Lots of discus people do daily 90% wc with not problems. Some have systems were there is always new water being added to the tank it's like a drip system with and over flow. There is no such thing as too many water changes.

+1

Thanks mate, that was exactly the answer i was looking for!! :good:

I think the only time that too many large water changes would be detrimental to your tank would be IF you were cycling it, you wouldn't be giving the beneficial bacteria a proper chance to grow and it would take longer but if the tank is already cycled there should't be a problem.

Am I right in thinking you're new (ish) to keeping fish? If so then you'll probably ease off on enjoying the daily water changes soon :lol:
A minimum of 30-50% weekly should be done to keep your fish healthy and happy :good:

i completely agree with snowflake. put quite simply you cannot gove a fish too much fresh clean water . more waterchanges is allways better than less :good:

Most reactions

Back