Too many fish choices and variables causing confusion…

Mmm…this is where the conflicting advice confuses me so much…some sources saying they need x, y and z and others saying but they’ll be ok if that’s not perfect.
I don‘t really want the worry of keeping my natural water parameters to an artificial level. One piece of advice that seems to remain consistent is that stable water parameters are better than fluctuating ones.

I think I’ve got my mind set on the dwarf neon rainbow fish and three Platy 🙂
You want to try and keep fish in water that is similar to what they evolved in and what they live in, in the wild. Depending on what the GH of your water is, will determine what fish you should keep. The following is a basic list of fish and their preferred pH and GH.

Angelfish, discus, most tetras, barbs, Bettas, gouramis, rasbora, Corydoras and small species of suckermouth catfish all occur in soft water (GH below 150ppm) and a pH below 7.0.

Most common Livebearers (guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies), rainbowfish and goldfish occur in medium hard water with a GH around 200-250ppm and a pH above 7.0.

If you have very hard water (GH above 300ppm) then look at African Rift Lake cichlids, or use distilled or reverse osmosis water to reduce the GH and keep fishes from softer water.

Most reactions

Back