TOO H O T !!!!!!!

MamaPish

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I noticed yesterday one of my tanks was warmer than normal...norm is 82-83.....was at 86 last night...I thought it was just because I needed to add water....from evaporation....cleaned tank last night and filled with water.....just checked it....and it was at 90 degrees :whoh:
This is my spawn every 7 day angel pair tank.....no one has touched the heater...it has a cover on the dial, I turned it down now and will bring the temp down slowly......but could this do some damage to the fish?

My house is air conditioned and never gets any warmer than 77 degrees.
Thanks

:/ - 90's pretty warm .... but if it was for a short time and everyone seems fine then it might be OK - an overheating thermostat is a bit of a worry :eek:

...(also be aware that sudden temp changes can cause severe stress....)

:)

maybe you can plop in a couple of ice cubes? Just to cool it down a bit? -_-

Do not put ice cubes right in the tank! Put them in a sandwitch bag first!

feed them some frozen food bloodworms or something mamapish how are your little ones doing? I saw a picture are you letting the parents raise them now?

I would do a water change and put cooler water in (a little at a time...maybe 10% and then 10% more a couple hours later so not to shock the fish and then check your water temp and heater to see if its working properly...

Also I would check to see if your thermometor is working properly...does the water feel 90 degrees to the touch (it would feel quite warm even to human touch...

I put my bottled water bottles in the freezer after I'm done drinking them. Once your done with it, fill it with tap water and put in your freeze. Once it freezes just put it in your tank. It works a lot longer than ice cubes, and being bigger, helps more, imo.

I don't even have my heaters on in the summer, but what you could do in the future is buy 2 heaters that are rated at about half your tank size. That way When one stops working, the other can keep it just warm enough to save your fish, and if the thermostat sticks on one, it won't be large enough to cook your fish.

I always do this because I feel heaters are the weak link in any setup and I would hate to lose fish over something like this.

I'd love an answer to the question if there's some reasonably economical device for cooling down the tank. I live in Madrid, Spain and I've boiled at least 10 fish this summer. (Last night the low in Madrid was 27º!)

In the meantime, are the local experts in agreement that putting a bottle of ice in is a safe method? My lfs wasn't too keen on the idea.

I suggest doing the 10-15% water changes with cooler water. Take out 10% of your warmer water. Get water from wherever, then put a tray of icecubes in and let them dissolve into nothing, then pour in the water, but don't pour it all in one spot. I move it around when pouring so the new cold water is not concentrated in just one area. I do a gallon at a time and use half a tray of ice cubes per gallon. Make sure the water is chlorine free too of course. That is what I do and would assume it is one of the safest ways to cool the water without spending all of your money on a chiller.

Smb that was smart about the frozen water bottle but if you just cleaned the tank and refilled it how come you didnt just add a little cooler then usal wateR?

dirty332 said:
Smb that was smart about the frozen water bottle but if you just cleaned the tank and refilled it how come you didnt just add a little cooler then usal wateR?
When I do do a water change I add a little cooler water but I add the frozen bottle when I'm not doing a water change. :)

I have several plastic ice packs i keep in my freezer in a bag(marked fish only).I use these when the tank get too warm or add some icecubes made from tank water(also kept in their own trays and put in bags)

What with the recent heatwave we've been having in the UK and lack of air-con in our house I've had the same problem. The temp in the tank has been dangerouly high. I've been using those blue icepacks, y'know the sort you stick in your coolbox when you go to the beach...but I'd like to give a little warning to anyone doing the same...PLEASE make sure they are fairly new so they don't leak, the liquid in their is usually around 5% toxic, so the fish have had if it that get's in the tank (I usually wrap mine in a sanwhich bag before I put them in)

I think however to cut the risk I'm gonna use smb's method of freezing water bottles...thanx smb great idea! :)

Most reactions

Back