Toadfish??

Babyeggsmum

Reaction score
Hi,this is my first time at actually posting!!Has anyone kept toadfish? I love these but dont know how practical it is.I have a regular 4ft community tank.,but they would have there own.I was quite set on puffers until i saw these.What do people think?All advice welcome.Thanks.

Most toadfish are need saltwater, there is only 1 freshwater species.

Great fish, but so not in a community tank.. or you'll end up with just one, very fat, very happy fish.

No,i wasnt thinking community,either 2 toadfish,or a toad and a puffer in a brackish tank.What do you think?are they compatible,or will they kill each other?

If the two are around the same size, with maybe the puffer a little larger, I think they would just ignore each other.

The puffer will be too big for the toadfish, and the toadfish is so inactive that the puffer wouldn't pay him any attention
(like the banjos in my puffer tanks)

But don't quote me on that. :D

The secret to combining any fish is research, research and...research.

I have a toadfish, Batrachus grunniens to be precise. They are vorocious predators that can and will consume fish up to 3/4 their own size, any potential tankmates must grow to at least 8" to be able to be kept with a toad fish in the long term. This species is the most commonly seen species in the fish trade and although usually sold in FW they are actually a strong brackish/marine fish that require the water to have a SG of at least 1.010. Toad fishes are also sometimes known as stone fishes and like the true stone fish carry a dangerous venom in spines in the fins so extra care must be taken when moving the fish or carrying out tank maintainance.

Thanks everyone!I think ive decided to forget the toadfish(for now) :/ .Im just going to get a couple of puffers!!Which type do people recommend as a "starter"puffer?

I'd start with dwarfs if you only have a small tank (10 or 15 gallons) If you have more room you could try South Americans which get a bit bigger.

Most reactions

Back