To Kill Aiptasia

westiemarble

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Ok, so I've tried all the usual 'liquids in a syringe' but now it's time to start fighting dirty :angry:

There's been lots of Aiptasia topics on the forum and they all usually end up with the advice to 'blowtorch them or soldering iron them'

How exactly do you manage this? I took out several piece of LR today with my hot toys on standby and the #41#### things simply retreated into the rock :(

Come one seffie - what am I doing wrong?

you have to ram the soldering iron in the hole there in

also ive found a common (also called aptasia eating)file fish works wonders in my tank will very ocasionally accidently mistake coral like xenia for aptasia and take a nip but the aptasia is there but its deffinatly ubnder control and hardly noticable at all its just the ocasional one

pick up the rock and hold it in the water to keep the aip from receeding. then have your weapon of choice fired up and ready to go. Keep a fix on where the aip is and remove from the water, i only lift it a small way outta the water just enough to get the aip. Preceed to cook to required taste, i prefer my aip well done to ensure they dont regenerate, which they can do even after a roasting! if it receeds then just have a go at where it was you can normally get the thing

:devil: my favourite passtime - burning aiptasia - oh how I love the smell of burning Aips :sick:

As suggested above: Take a good look at rock (sometimes helps if you have a helper) decide where the hole is that the Aip lives, keep a close eye on said place. Have a container with ro water in ready - pull out the rock, stick the soldering iron right into the rock (be careful, sometimes the Aips explode and make you jump!)then rinse the rock in the water. NEVER do this over the tank - Aipas let out spores when they think they are under attack - so what could happen is you burn the Aip but before it is touched it lets its spores go, you then put rock back in water and spores float around your tank :huh:

Seffie X

You can buy the soldering iron with a thin tip on ebay for under a £5 if you haven't got one

Most reactions

Back