Tiger Barb Compatiblity

Rice_slayer

Reaction score
Hey, what fish are compatible with my tiger barbs? I would like danios or something like that.

Hey, what fish are compatible with my tiger barbs? I would like danios or something like that.

I had 12 tiger barbs with 20 black mollies, 5 tetras, 1 (very large) pleco.

Tigers are usually classified as agressive, but my school seem to pretty much stay to themselves. Danios should be find with the Tigers.

How many tigers by the way because they're best in a school of 6 or more.

Rice, is this the same 10 gallon tank from your old thread http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=150889 ?

If so, as several people told you in that thread your tank is overstocked with just the tiger barbs.

I specifically told you how if you put too many fish in there the fish will be stressed, diseases will spread really fast, and much more frequent water changes will be necessary. This is beside the fact that tiger barbs, being a really active fish, would really appreciate a bigger tank than 10 gals.

If this is the same 10 gallon tank, no more fish can go in there. You need a bigger tank if you want to keep more fish.

fine, how about guppies? my parents have a 5.5 gallon with 2 full grown guppies, about 18 mid sized ones and 2 VERY tiny babies. I dont know if guppies would survive with my barbs, they always chase eachother around the tank.

rice, i wouldn't put anything else in your tank to be honest. if you were to take the tiger barbs back to the LFS, then you could get some other fish, but thus far your tank is just not going to be able to support anything else. :/ but tiger barbs are fantastic fish! very cute and lively.

fine, how about guppies? my parents have a 5.5 gallon with 2 full grown guppies, about 18 mid sized ones and 2 VERY tiny babies. I dont know if guppies would survive with my barbs, they always chase eachother around the tank.

Rice, remember that 1 inch per gallon guideline that was brought up in your other thread? 22 guppies in a 5 1/2 gallon tank is very overstocked.

It is mainly a difference between surviving and thriving. It is a contrived example, but consider that you could survive in a phone booth and live a reasonably long life, given that you were provided fresh water, adequate food, toilet facilities, etc. But what about your quality of life? That is, you would survive in the phone booth, but not thrive.

It is the same with the fish. Those guppies can survive in that tank. But, they are probably chasing each other around becuase they are feeling the stress of living in close proximity. A weaker one has no where to hide from some of the more aggressive ones. And from there it spirals out of control. (I'll repeat myself just to make sure the point gets across.) If your tank should happen to get a fish disease, that weaker one will be more susceptible since it is stressed. The fish are in extremely close quarters, so the disease spreads really rapidly. Because there are so many fish in such a small volume, the water quality is extra difficult to keep in good condiiton, with that small a volume things can go south very, very quickly. For example, the nitrate build up with be very rapid with that many fish in that small a tank.

I know that compared to the tanks on TV, even the tanks on the side of the boxes of new tanks in the store, or even the tanks in the LFS, your tank looks empty. But those are just marketing (TV and pictures) or very sophisiticated temporary holding (LFS with a very large filter system in the back), and does not represent healthy thriving tanks. We on the forum want what is best for your tank, and the included keeping the stocking density to a reasonable level so that the tank is easier to maintain. Sometimes bringing yourself to do the water changes once a week is hard enough, are you really committed to doing it every day? Committed to teaching your neighbors or friends how to do it every day in case you leave town for a day? Othwerise you may very well come home to a tank full of sick or already dead fish.

We cannot stop you from doing pretty much whatever you want to do, but every time you post we are going to ask what size tank you have, what is in it, and what are the water stats. And then we are going to give you feedback, which, if you keep putting new fish in there is going to be "Your tank is way overstocked."

So, realistically, I guess your options are 1) to start lying and saying you have a much bigger tank 2) to get a much bigger tank or 3) to listen and learn from the advice of these much more experienced fishkeepers on these forums.

I think I can speak for most of us when I say we are just trying to help you keep your fish thriving for a long and healthy life while at the same time making it as easy as possible for you to keep them. At this moment, that goal is accomplished by not adding any more fish to your 10 gallon tank.

Those guppies have been in that tank 2+ years now and surving just fine. I just wanted to know if i could get other fish IF i got a bigger tank. My barbs have all grown half an inch and i have only had them for like 3 weeks! Must have starved at the pet store but they are soo fun and relaxing too watch, there is this one that will sneak up behind the others and chase them to no end, then the play the waiting game in the very tall plant.

Most reactions

Back