Three spot gourami fry help

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

robbierl

Reaction score
I went overseas for six weeks and asked a friend to look after my 8 foot aquarium while I was away. They managed to overfeed them so much, all the fish, expect two three spot gouramis died. In their panic, my friend disconnected the filter, so when I came home, my tank was so cloudy I could only see a few inches in, and smells foul as well. This seems to work for my gouramis, because they've decided to spawn hundreds of fry in these filthy conditions. The fry are all free-swimming, although staying close to the surface. At a guess, I would say they're about a week old, and all appear quite healthy.

Now, my tank is so foul, I don't really have any other option but to drain it, scrub it clean, and start all over again. Believe me, there's no amount of water changes that can save it. I can borrow a couple of 2 foot tanks from another friend to transfer all these fry and the adult gouramis into. I was planning to fill these tanks up using water from my main tank to reduce the stress of moving to a different tank. How long should I leave them in the current tank before transferring them?

I'm don't want to go to any heroics to save them all, but I don't want to miss out on anything that could help some of them survive.

I'd go for transferring them as is tbh, then water changes but they like dirty water. Before anyone says I'm an idiot I'll ask them to see what gourami live in first. You'll be a k.

Most reactions

Back