XkyleX

Reaction score
Photo0130.jpg

With Corydoras

Photo0128.jpg

Photo0125.jpg

Photo0132.jpg

One of the bigger ones.

I have 3 in there all together with Amino shrimp, Neon tetras, mixed Corydoras, Otocinclus and a Harlequin which the two larger ones seem to be swimming with a lot.

better pics tha the ones I posted the other day

They are great fish. I wonder though is warm water good for them only reason I wonder this is that most articles I read on them prior to buying them referred to their need for cold water?

Well the temp is 27-28 because of the discus that was in there before. They've been in there since yesterday and they're not showing any stress, no damaged scales. They're wild caught. They were in a 10g but they kept fighting so I moved them and now they're swimming together and following the shrimp around. Some people assume that because they're from ponds and rivers, they're cold water but if it's sunny down here then the ponds are heated to about 22-24 anyway.

They can do fine in warmer water, but IMO discus temps are pushing it. Coming from cold temperate streams and ponds they will only be in higher temps for part of the day, and can easily move out of they wanted to. Oxygen levels are lower in warmer water so over the long term I really cant see this being good. Adding wild fish in with discus/other fish is probably a bit risky if the discus are expensive too, due to the risk of introducing parasites. TBH i cant say these sticklebacks are the healthiest looking I've seen either (clamped fins in all the pics and they a little weak/skinny looking despite full tummies). They can often look like this when captured from the wild, but then they are often very ill there too.

So overall, I find this very interesting and they are nice pics, but I wouldn't recommend anybody else try to duplicate this in this kind of aquarium -_- .

I was recently thinking about adding some of the stickleback fry from my local stream into my shrimp tank, releasing them when they are bigger. But the temp in that tank is varies between 22-26*C and it has a very high turnover and decent surface aggitation, I wouldn't try it on my other tanks.

Temp has been down to 23 since 4th day. There's no discus in there. There was 1 a while back but it died before these fish were introduced in to the tank. The only fish to have died since they've been in there is a cory but it was extremely pale before they went in. The 3 close up pictures are of the same ones, I could only get 1 pic of the bigger ones because they swim around too much. The one in the 3 close up pictures is the healthiest looking in there. The only time I've seen these sticklebacks without their fins clamped is when they stop swimming.

I wouldn't recommend them in a home aquarium, they can get quite aggressive when stressed. Mine are only in my tank until I get around to digging the pond. I was hoping I'd get it done end of August so there was still a chance of breeding.

Most reactions

Back