Thoughts On Stocking Ideas.

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Looks like a trip to argos tomorrow then for some sand!! :good: So I just turn the pump/filter off etc until it all settles? How deep does the sand need to be? Would one 15kg bag be enough for my size tank?

So how about-
8-panda corys
2-starlight bristlenoses
10-black ruby barbs
2-red breasted acara
maybe 4 platys?

Sounds good so far. Make sure you've got some bogwood in there for your plecs.

Yeah wait till it settles before turning the filter back on. Give the sand a good rinse through before putting it in your tank. I used 1 bag of sand for my rio 180 but not quite sure what the weight of it was. I would guess it was around 15kg, And that was plenty (about 1 1/2").

Cheers

I think I would prefer a Krib with the barbs and only one pleco, unless you can guarantee that you have 1m 1f or 2f.

I dont know what Acaras are like, but when i had Kribs it was like "Oh no, there not spawning again are they" haha

Yeah wait till it settles before turning the filter back on. Give the sand a good rinse through before putting it in your tank. I used 1 bag of sand for my rio 180 but not quite sure what the weight of it was. I would guess it was around 15kg, And that was plenty (about 1 1/2").

Cheers

Would I be ok putting bogwood in the tank during cycling? Am I right in thinking I should wait until the cycling is done?
What needs to be done with the bogwood prior to putting it in the tank? Does it have to be boiled and soaked?

I dont know what Acaras are like, but when i had Kribs it was like "Oh no, there not spawning again are they" haha
Acaras are the same, but they are a lot more sensitive to bullying, which is why I wouldn't consider them with any barbs, to be honest.

Would I be ok putting bogwood in the tank during cycling? Am I right in thinking I should wait until the cycling is done?
What needs to be done with the bogwood prior to putting it in the tank? Does it have to be boiled and soaked?
Only crazy people who don't like tannins boil and soak their wood :lol:

I would put it in after the cycle is done and I do rather like the blackwater effect that it produces. What I do do, is scrub it under a running tap to get any loose bits off and any dirt it could have picked up.

Acaras are the same, but they are a lot more sensitive to bullying, which is why I wouldn't consider them with any barbs, to be honest.

Only crazy people who don't like tannins boil and soak their wood :lol:

I would put it in after the cycle is done and I do rather like the blackwater effect that it produces. What I do do, is scrub it under a running tap to get any loose bits off and any dirt it could have picked up.

I thought that wood put into the tank has to be soaked for a couple of weeks first?

No, it does not *have* to be soaked.

Some people soak it to remove tannins or to make it water logged (make it sink), especially the latter if it is a particularly big piece which has been out of the water for a while.

No, it does not *have* to be soaked.

Some people soak it to remove tannins or to make it water logged (make it sink), especially the latter if it is a particularly big piece which has been out of the water for a while.

Sorry if this is a stupid question but is bogwood the same as Mopani wood,are they used for the same purpose?

There's no such thing as a stupid question.

They are different types of wood, but they are used for the same purpose. I find that Mopani usually takes slightly longer to become water logged.

There's no such thing as a stupid question.

They are different types of wood, but they are used for the same purpose. I find that Mopani usually takes slightly longer to become water logged.

Thanks for the info Kitty Kat.
So there is no need to soak the wood when I get it? I know you said not,but every thread I read where one is mentioned they state soaking it for a couple of weeks first.Sorry but I`m confused. :blush:

most prefer to soak wood so it doesn't turn you tank water like tea :lol: I like Kat don't mind this so put it straight in.

Some fish will find the tannings very beneficial

most prefer to soak wood so it doesn't turn you tank water like tea :lol: I like Kat don't mind this so put it straight in.

Some fish will find the tannings very beneficial

Thanks for the input.I`ll just give it a wash then.Should I not bother putting it in the tank then whilst im cycling?

No, it will lower the pH of the tank water, which can stall the cycle. Leave it out till the fish go in.

Most reactions

Back