Thoughts On Stocking Ideas.

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sweetmeister

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,I am currently cycling my tank (165 litres) so have spent some time trying to come up with what to put in it!
I want a nice friendly community tank so here are my thoughts-
6-Black ruby barbs
6-Black widow tetras
6-Panda corys
4-6 Platys (not sure which would be best)

I would also like maybe 3 or 4 slightly larger fish (ie bigger than tetras/barbs) so am open to suggestions as to what would be best for a community tank.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Can't fault that stocking.. just be careful as the barbs can be nippy in smaller numbers. Recommend addition of trio of Apistogramma on top of those, or a pair of red-breasted acara.

Although personally, I prefer to keep only one mid-water schooler in a tank that size and would opt for 15-20 tetra of one species.

Can't fault that stocking.. just be careful as the barbs can be nippy in smaller numbers. Recommend addition of trio of Apistogramma on top of those, or a pair of red-breasted acara.

Although personally, I prefer to keep only one mid-water schooler in a tank that size and would opt for 15-20 tetra of one species.

Thanks for the advice.The Black ruby barbs are suppose to be one of if not the most suitable barbs for a community tank (so ive read).Which corys would you recommend for this tank?

What are you recommending for a "larger" fish?

On the size of the fish I have suggested,do you think I have room for more? Say 10 ruby barbs and 10 tetras?

Any recommendations for a suitable pleco for my size tank,to go with the Corys?

I've never seen the red-breasted acara before; they're lovely. :drool:

What substrate do you have? I honestly wouldn't recommend corys if you have gravel. I've kept them on fine gravel for a couple of months and have just put them on sand and got a bigger group and the difference is amazing; I really think they need sand to be happy and health. I won't ever keep them on gravel again. If you've got sand you could have 10 panda corys.

Personally, I'd forget about the platys and have more of either the barbs or the tetra but not both, although it might work; the do shoal with black widows (according to Wikipedia anyway, and their fish pages aren't normally too bad)

Then, as Kitty Kat suggests, have a trio of Apistogrammas or other small, peaceful chiclid as your larger fish.

I've never seen the red-breasted acara before; they're lovely. :drool:

What substrate do you have? I honestly wouldn't recommend corys if you have gravel. I've kept them on fine gravel for a couple of months and have just put them on sand and got a bigger group and the difference is amazing; I really think they need sand to be happy and health. I won't ever keep them on gravel again. If you've got sand you could have 10 panda corys.

Personally, I'd forget about the platys and have more of either the barbs or the tetra but not both, although it might work; the do shoal with black widows (according to Wikipedia anyway, and their fish pages aren't normally too bad)

Then, as Kitty Kat suggests, have a trio of Apistogrammas or other small, peaceful chiclid as your larger fish.

I do have gravel as my substrate! Are the corys a no no then? If so what about a small shoal of suitable pleco? Any ideas for the smaller pleco?

Yes, honestly; I don't think corys are really happy on gravel; my sand is all dimpled where they dig into it. How about otos, or a trio or pair of one of the smaller plecs?

What are your tank's dimensions, btw? Sometimes that's more important than the volume when it comes to stocking.

(They've got red-breasted acara in stock at Sweet Knowle Aquatics atm :drool: I've got just the tank for them in my bedroom...)

How about some type of Hypan instead of the Cory's?

Im new to the hobby! Are Hypan a type of Plec? How big do they grow?

Yes, honestly; I don't think corys are really happy on gravel; my sand is all dimpled where they dig into it. How about otos, or a trio or pair of one of the smaller plecs?

What are your tank's dimensions, btw? Sometimes that's more important than the volume when it comes to stocking.

(They've got red-breasted acara in stock at Sweet Knowle Aquatics atm :drool: I've got just the tank for them in my bedroom...)

Now youve got me thinking of changing to sand!!!! Would it be ok to change substrate during the cycling process? (only on week one).

My tank is 32" x 17" x 17"

Yes I was thinking of a few smaller plecs if I cant have the corys.Any suggestions?

Which corys would you recommend for this tank?
Any species would be fine, but as said above, they do benefit from sand.

Recommend addition of trio of Apistogramma on top of those, or a pair of red-breasted acara.
What are you recommending for a "larger" fish?
^^ :good:

On the size of the fish I have suggested,do you think I have room for more? Say 10 ruby barbs and 10 tetras?
Probably, but I would still stock not too quickly.

How about some type of Hypan instead of the Cory's?

Im new to the hobby! Are Hypan a type of Plec? How big do they grow?
Hypancistrus, depends on the species.. you should stalk planetcatfish.

Now youve got me thinking of changing to sand!!!! Would it be ok to change substrate during the cycling process? (only on week one).
Yes, it would have no effect on anything.

My tank is 32" x 17" x 17"
Actually, make it 20 mid-water schoolers as the absolute maximum.

Yes I was thinking of a few smaller plecs if I cant have the corys.Any suggestions?
Any three under 4" adult size.. but they can get quite aggressive, so try to figure out how to tell males and females apart first, and then have no more than 1 male.

Hypans are a genus of the L numbers. Generally a little bit smaller. Some great looking ones about

EDIT: Have a look on planetcatfish. Got a good page on each of the L numbers

Maybe not.... The site isnt working anymore :( Shame

Maybe not.... The site isnt working anymore :( Shame
They're doing planned maintenance.. although why they couldn't do it on a backup and then make it live..? *facepalm*

In the mean time, fishbase is still working at it's usual, slow pace..

I'm a great believer in under stocking and over filtering, so this is what I'd do if it were my tank; change to sand now, before you get any fish or plants in. Then you could have; 12 pygmy cory or 10 panda corys or 6 or 7 other cory (peppered or bronze or whatever you like/can get) or 10 otos or a couple of bristlenoses or a nice , smallish L number or two.

A dozen of either the barbs or the tetra, and you'd have room to add a few more later if you wanted, then add a pair or trio of a small chiclid species in a couple of months if everything's stable.

That's what I'd do anyway :)

I'm a great believer in under stocking and over filtering, so this is what I'd do if it were my tank; change to sand now, before you get any fish or plants in. Then you could have; 12 pygmy cory or 10 panda corys or 6 or 7 other cory (peppered or bronze or whatever you like/can get) or 10 otos or a couple of bristlenoses or a nice , smallish L number or two.

A dozen of either the barbs or the tetra, and you'd have room to add a few more later if you wanted, then add a pair or trio of a small chiclid species in a couple of months if everything's stable.

That's what I'd do anyway :)

Thanks for the input.Like the idea of the peppered or bronze corys,a couple of starlight bristlenoses,a dozen ruby barbs and a couple of smaller chiclid.
Not going to put all in at once obviously,but just wanted to sort out numbers so to speak.
Am I right in thinking that the bristlenoses are ok with gravel and that certain corys are also?

Is it possible to change from gravel to sand without emptying all the water? Im sure I read recently that someone had done just that!

just pull the gravel out, wash the sand and put it in :good:

you won't regret swapping substrate, will be good for if you decide to go real plants down the line too :good:

A BN would be fine with gravel. And a great little fish. Wish i hadnt got rid of mine. She was more active during the day than my L333's. Bit of a stunner aswell she was haha Cant comment about the corys. Sorry.

I emptied the gravel out and put sand in with about 50% water in. Didnt go great but didnt go bad. Just make sure you turn your filter off.

Cheers

Most reactions

Back