This Looks Like A Good Forum For A Fish Newbie!

Gillymore

Reaction score
I have always wanted to keep tropical fish. But it has taken until now when my son was discussing his interest in fish keping and asking to set up a tank.....so I feel that my long harboured wish to have an aquarium will be granted via my offspring!!!

So I suppose that "we" will share the trials, tribulations and hopefully the joy of fishkeeping together. Anyway, enough of me prattling on.....our tank has been set up for 5 days and we hope to stock some fish today. I am a bit worried about testing the water and trying to work out what chemical changes may be required prior to stocking. A local stockist has suggested we bring a sample of water that they will check and then advise what to do next. They say they dont like to sell fish just to make their money..but rather try to make sure that if fish are sold..then they will have a good chance of survival..even with newbies!!

They charge a small fee for the water test...but I reckon that it could help us..until at least we get a little more confident and gain more knowlege about fishkeeping.

This board looks like a good place to get tips and advice...we are glad we found it.

(edit...the references to "we" looks a bit naff on reading through...all future posts will be in the singular person).

Hi Gillymore, welcome to TFF and welcome to fish-keeping

Unfortunately it would be a bad idea to buy fish today. New tanks need to go through a cycle. This involves building up bacteria (in your filter) to process fish waste. Without the bacteria the fish waste (which starts off as ammonia) can poison your fish. Here people generally recommend you do a fishless cycle. This involves adding ammonia yourself to a tank (without fish) to build up the required bacteria. Doing it this way means that fish aren't exposed to ammonia (or in the next stage of cycling, nitrite) while the bacteria builds up.
It takes about 4 weeks to do a fishless cycle, although it does vary. I realise 4 weeks may seem like a long time when you are eager to get some fish, but it is by far the kindest method for the fish.

Getting the water tested is a must, but really I would recommend you get your own test kit (get liquid rather than strips - more accurate). You will need one for the cycling bit anyway, and it will probably work out cheaper in the long run. You can buy master test kits by API which contain all you need.

It's good that your store tests water before selling fish, but for a brand new tank the results could be misleading. They will probably test for ammonia and nitrite. Because your tank has never had fish (or been through a fishless cycle) the tests will read zero, which will look good to the store, but as soon as you add the fish the ammonia level will increase because there's no bacteria built up in the filter.

I hope this makes sense.

Have a look at this thread. It's all you need to know about fishless cycling
[URL="http://www.fishforums.net/content/New-to-the-hobby/113861/Fishless-Cycling/"]http://www.fishforums.net/content/New-to-t...shless-Cycling/[/URL]

Thanks for the welcome littlest. Your post does make sense and I only wish that I commenced a fishless cycle at the time of setting up the tank. By not doing so I have set back the stocking date by nearly a week...disappointing, but at least you managed to advise me BEFORE I bought fish....Thanks again.

Hello, fellow Northener!

You''ll need to be patient if you want to get the 'cycle' done right. But it will save you money as you won't have as many fish-deaths (hopefully).

When you do decide to purchase fish, how far are you willing to travel?? I ask this as there is a really good quality fish shop called 'Betta Aquaria' in Byker near Newcastle. (Denmark Street, behind the main street in Byker)

If you can't get there, I hope you find a good-quality Aquatics nearby.

It sounds like they advised you quite well so far> good luck and keep getting knowledge on here/websites.

:good:

Welcome to the forums.

What size tank do you have? Have you seen any fish that you would like to buy?

you're welcome Gillymore. You can use the cycling time to really research the fish you are interested in to make sure that they are suitable for your tank size and compatiable with each etc.

Gillymore, while you are cycling your tank take a trip to the local fish store and look at the fish. If any in particular catch your eye, come back and let people here know what your interests are. We may be able to help you avoid getting fish that will not do well together.
I have seen posts by people who just said I have a so-and-so tank and want to know what to put in it. 75 years ago, with only a very limitted stock available, there might have been a good answer but today, with the variety available, it would be better for you to make trial suggestions that we can help you adjust for success.

Gillymore,

I too am learning the hobby along with my son. I did it a lot as a kid and then off & on a little over the years but now am having to relearn everything as so much has changed. I looked at quite a lot of forums and other info before ending up here and I think you've found a really good one. On top of that, probably all the members who have answered your thread so far are really experienced from what I've read.

Getting the right test kit, fishless cycling, understanding filters, water chem and water changes are all important starting topics with lots of info to be had here. I'm finding it very fascinating and my son is following along, learning the nitrogen cycle and beginning to realize the knowledge even goes beyond the hobby.

Anyway, welcome. ~~waterdrop~~

Thanks for the welcome lads and/or lasses...Attempting to set up a 23 gallon/90 litre tank. It was purchased as one of those "everything you need to start up" sales where the filter pump and heater/thermostat is compatable for the tank!! Has been set up for 6 days, but only started fishless cycle proper from yesterday. I understand that some fish are more hardy than others..possibly Molly and Guppy types?!!

Fishless cycle? Predominantly getting "friendly" bacteria into the filter which will help break down ammonia/nitrates/nitrites. Which can also directly effect the water ph levels. Or something like that!!!

Keep the advice coming...please!

Ok...the "acid test"....day 3 of fishless cycle.

Please note....I am attempting to introduce ammonia into a tank that has been "set up" for the previous 5 days. I am using Tetra Test 5 in 1 dipstick diagnostic tester....(I now think that I know that this may not be as accurate as a dropper test kit....but I am learning)!!!!! Ammonia is in form of fishfood!!!

Water results......

ph 8.4

KH 20d

GH >16d

NO2 0

NO3 10

I await your thoughts with baited breath.

Hi Gillymore - you are right to assume that the dipstick type tests are less accurate than the liquid dropper tests. Another major flaw of course is that they don't test for ammonia - which really is a must.

At the moment you have 0 nitrite and 10 nitrate. Have you tested your tap water for nitrate?
I would guess that your tap water does have 10 nitrate in it, as it would be very early to be getting nitrate from the cycle (seeing as that is the last stage).

so, presumably you have ammonia, of an unknown amount, but as yet it isn't being converted to nitrite.
Given you've only been cycling 3 days, that is perfectly normal

you pH seems quite high. You should probably test your tap water pH to, so you can compare. If the tap pH is the same then fine. If the tap pH is lower, there might be something in your tank that is increasing the pH, which you may want to remove (depending on the fish you plan to get).
no need to be buying chemicals that lower your pH though.

I don't really know about KH and GH as I don't test for it, so I won't comment on that bit.

but yeah - buying some liquid testsis definately a good idea. You definately need an ammonia test anyway.

Hi Gillymore:
The first step in the nitrogen cycle, and the one most likely to be a while before it starts, is getting to where you are converting ammonia to nitrites. Without a decent test kit to find out if you have any ammonia, you will be faced with running blind for a few weeks while trying to spot the nitrite spike that will come. When it does, you are on your way to being cycled but it could come and go quickly. If you don't test every day, one day you could have fairly low nitrite levels, the next when you didn't test or didn't have an accurate reading could be the highest day of the spike and 2 days later when you test again it could be well on its way down. Its not usually that quick but unless you can read all the parameters you won't be ceratin. As far as pH, KH and GH goes, don't worry about them until you get your cycle done. For most fish, GH and KH don't really mean much, the exception is some very sensitive south american cichlids that new fishkeepers should avoid anyway. KH can be an issue that keeps you from adjusting the pH but most people do not adjust pH.
A very easy to read and understand parameter is pH but, truth be known, as long as it does not change around much most fish will likely be OK. The change around much is the thing to be aware of. If you are adding acid or alkaline chemicals to move your pH around, it is changing constantly. That can be fatal for your fish. Please don't change what you don't need to.

Not sure where in teeside you are but I think Billingham Aquatics is a reasonable shop. I've only purchased some T5 tubes from them but the advice on those was good for a newbie. Definitely get rid of the test strips they are rubbish, a proper test kit is the way to go. I've checked the strip versus proper analytical equipment at work and they are not worth the cash. The API ammonia test is a good one and lasts ages.

API kits

Not tried the nitrite one.

Good luck, it's a lot of fun.

Iain

Most reactions

Back