This Is Wrong Right?

It's not big news to have a 16" Oscar. 12" is way too small of width for any mature Oscar as he'll be 10" in just 1 year. That gives him 2" to turn around in.

I agree that there's worse scenarios and am not trying to pick a fight as I've read your posts and understand you care very much about fish, it's just that the excuse that we've seen much worse doesn't make a 12" wide tank acceptable, imo.

I'm not trying to put anything i na negative light, just trying to give advice that I believe is best for the fish. Not saying in this thread in particular but if we say a 12" wide tank is ok for an Oscar because he's only 8" and someone goes and buys the tank and Oscar, what are they going to do in 2 months when they see the fish is almost as long as the tank is wide and they can't/don't have the money to upgrade?

I'm sorry for coming off strongly, it's just that, I personally m more concerned over people who leave htem with horrible filtration and water quality control plans in a 10 gallon tank, than the neighbor in question here. The oscar DOES need mroe room, I'm not argueing that, and it should be done ASAP (like literally now). What I am saying is that the oscar is 7-8"ish and the tank is never "dirty". There are worse cases out there and as I don't necessarily condone this as a long term setup, I feel that it is fine as long as proper arrangements are planned. I'm currently growing out an oscar in a 30 gallon tank, the goal is to introduce it to another fish in my 125 gallon later on. I didn't know the size and intentions of the oscar owner in question, so I didn't want to jump the gun. If the fish is that big, then they should have it in a bigger tank.

Thank you for the compliment of me caring about fish, I really do! I just wanted to know more facts about the situation before we jump the gun :lol:. Now we know, and now we're both on the same page :D :good:

It's not big news to have a 16" Oscar. 12" is way too small of width for any mature Oscar as he'll be 10" in just 1 year. That gives him 2" to turn around in.

I agree that there's worse scenarios and am not trying to pick a fight as I've read your posts and understand you care very much about fish, it's just that the excuse that we've seen much worse doesn't make a 12" wide tank acceptable, imo.

I'm not trying to put anything i na negative light, just trying to give advice that I believe is best for the fish. Not saying in this thread in particular but if we say a 12" wide tank is ok for an Oscar because he's only 8" and someone goes and buys the tank and Oscar, what are they going to do in 2 months when they see the fish is almost as long as the tank is wide and they can't/don't have the money to upgrade?

I'm sorry for coming off strongly, it's just that, I personally m more concerned over people who leave htem with horrible filtration and water quality control plans in a 10 gallon tank, than the neighbor in question here. The oscar DOES need mroe room, I'm not argueing that, and it should be done ASAP (like literally now). What I am saying is that the oscar is 7-8"ish and the tank is never "dirty". There are worse cases out there and as I don't necessarily condone this as a long term setup, I feel that it is fine as long as proper arrangements are planned. I'm currently growing out an oscar in a 30 gallon tank, the goal is to introduce it to another fish in my 125 gallon later on. I didn't know the size and intentions of the oscar owner in question, so I didn't want to jump the gun. If the fish is that big, then they should have it in a bigger tank.

Thank you for the compliment of me caring about fish, I really do! I just wanted to know more facts about the situation before we jump the gun :lol:. Now we know, and now we're both on the same page :D :good:

It's all good. :good:

I respect anyones opinion that cares about fish whether I have a different opinion or not. The more opinions from more people that differ the more we can all learn from one another. :)

And I didn't think you came off too strong. :)

Most reactions

Back