This Is Why You Should Have Clowns

Here's ours. Whisker coral is acting as host... :good:

EuphylliaHostingClown.jpg

oh and to the person who asked what hosting was:

Clownfish, in the wild, live in sea anemones, sea anemones contain powerful stunning stinging cells on their tentacles that strangely wont sting a clownfish (still a phenomenon with theories but so far no true reason). The clownfish take advantage of that and live in the anemone, the clownfish bright colors attract other fish to eat them, then the other fish chase the clownfish and the anemone kills the other fish. The anemone then eats the other fish and the clownfish gets scraps. The clownfish also hunts for its own food and when the clownfish gets its own food it shares it with the anemone. It truely is a nice bond where the clownfish needs the anemone for survival in the wild and the anemone needs the clown for survival in the wild.

But that is in the wild, in the safety (hopefully) of our tanks, clownfish can survive without anemones and live very happily as well as vise versa. Also clown hosting anemones are generally hard to take care of, and some dont produce fast in the wild which can and will drastically reduce their wild count. For this reason some people dont get anemones, but the spectacular image of a clownfish and an anemone living together is still greatly wanted. Thats why people get other things for their clownfish like corals. Some (not all) clowns take the coral as an alternative to an anemone and treats the coral the same way it would treat an anemone, and some corals are easier to take care of than anemones and some corals arent taken from the wild. So it is a more friendly way of getting a relationship in your tank.

oh boy, my clownfish is trying to host my brain (no not litterally), the brain doesnt seem to be liking it.... Might need to do something about it.

Lovely pics!
I'm a fw keeper myself although one day would love to do a sw tank, however know absolutely nothing about it;
So quick question, whats hosting?

you never watched finding nemo? know how nemo and marlin live in an anemone, well that's cos clownfish really do. it's dead cute watching them hosting, i want a nice clown for our big tank when we upgrade. fancy a black clown :D

Hosting is cute absolutely love clownfish but i doubt i'll get round to a marine tank for a long time.
Cheers both!

Edit; For getting a 'little' off topic.

Cheers Musho, much obliged :good:

Nope Wiggles, always found modern kids cartoons have an element of manipulation, nauseating cheesiness and fantastical attitudes that are potentially damaging (to me :D ) but i guess thats all going to have to change now.
Whether my opinions on this sway (probably) i Refuse to let my daughter anywhere near a Bratz doll, never, ever, ever.
:crazy:

Anyhow, hosting is cute absolutely love clownfish but i doubt i'll get round to a marine tank for a long time.
Cheers both!

yes while all that is true, they are pretty cute ;)

you do right though, i think those bratz things are horrible, do people really want their kids idolising chav sluts?????? anyway that's way off topic so i wont' got on!

oh, and some corals wont like clownfish in them since clowns can be quite violent towards them and in nature, clowns wont host corals.

Err....clowns don't 'host' corals. It's the other way around..the corals/anemones act AS HOSTS for the clownfish..... :rolleyes:

Most reactions

Back