This Is A Female Right?

if its a male it could be a pk (short finned/wild type) or it could be a young spadetail/VT male who has yet to grow his tail fully.
i have seen young males show vertical bars before, when confronted with a more dominant male. and i seriously doubt a female would egg up visibly in 10 minutes! it takes time for them to produce the eggs, they don't just suddenly appear.

when "she" flares at him, does "she" have a frill sticking out from behind her gills? can you try and get a flaring photo?

She has gotten eggy before well at least its what I thought. and I can't get clearer pictures because my camera stinks. when a betta flares if it is a female will it not have the frilly thing?

She has gotten eggy before well at least its what I thought. and I can't get clearer pictures because my camera stinks. when a betta flares if it is a female will it not have the frilly thing?
to my knowledge females do not have a beard. ... but some breeders might have seen some flukes. :unsure:

check this out for your filter ;) :
http://www.petfish.net/kb/entry/347/

You may want to try holding your camera farther from the fish. I don't know what kind of camera you have, but some can't focus when the subject is too close.

My female has a beard. This is Twilight I'm talking about, i think most of you have seen her? Well the first time I put her on the opposite side of a clear divider in Moonshine's tank, he flew straight at it, flaring, and scared the pants off her... she flared back, beard and all. She is defo a female, she barred up and egged up. I let her out too early and he beat the crap out of her, so I've separated them and I'm going to re condition. So I haven't actually spawned her and I can't guarantee she's a female but for what it's worth I have a fish I am 99% sure is female, with a beard.

Does anybody think this isn't a female? (If it isn't a female, I'm screwed, incidentally.)

Attachments

• twilight1.JPG
    twilight1.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 43
  • twilight2.JPG
    twilight2.JPG
    12.1 KB · Views: 43
I have heard of one or two females with freak full beards that dropped eggs.

Well i'm still trying to figure this out and I do honestly think that she is indeed a female. We will see what happens when I put her in the chimney. If I don't see results within a few days after putting her in there I will be sure she is not a female and is a male.

My female has the same pointed anal fin as yours. I am positive that mine is a female because I've bred her once. She doesn't have a beard though. When she flares, she just shows her gills.

Most reactions

Back