Thinking Of Starting A Tank Again!

Ahh I use natural sunlight I will use the tanks light maybe. Yes it is blue but it seems to be slightly purple hue. I'll post an update tomorrow.

omega59 said:
Just tested today it is more purple this time... do i add more Ammonia, how much?

http://i67.tinypic.com/157bytj.jpg

Normally you'd wait, but since you are adding such a small amount of ammonia, it would be fine to add enough to bring it back up to 1 ppm.  But, then be patient.  You can't get in much trouble by adding too little ammonia, but you can adding too much.

Okay, so I will do just one drop of Ammonia and test again tomorrow.

I would let the nitrite drop first.  There's no rush to adding more ammonia.  Generally at this point you'd be adding a 'snack' dose every 3-4 days.  That would mean adding just to get it up to 1ppm rather than the 3ppm that is the original dose (normally).  

In your case, you don't need to worry about a ton more.  Just wait 4 days... then dose back up to 1ppm.  Wait 4 more days... and repeat.  Eventually your nitrite will reach zero after 24 hours.  When that happens, you are done.   

I would suspect that it won't be too long.  Maybe 2 more weeks, at the most.

Exactly what I would suggest too.

Remember, patience ;) (easy for me to say I know)

Won't be too long before you're doing cartwheel and looking at LFS for what you would like :p

Looks good :)

Now the next stage is to wait for nitrite to drop below 1ppm, so just wait another 24 hours and test again, so and hopefully nitrite will drop and then add another full dose of 1ppm ammonia.

Usually a snack dose may be needed at this stage, but since you are adding so small amounts of ammonia, think may be ok to miss part this unless you can add a third of what you have been dosing so far, believe you have bee adding ONE drop of ammonia, so pretty hard to dose a third of a drop :lol:

(your full dose is 1ppm, NOT 3ppm as the article states, but everything else is to be follwed as written)

" After the maintenance feeding (snack Dose #3), whenever you test and ammonia is .25 ppm or lower and nitrite is clearly under 1 ppm, it is time to add another full ammonia dose (Dose #4) and then test in 24 hours.

If ammonia and nitrite both read 0 ppm, you are cycled. Do a large water change, be sure the water is the proper temperature, and add fish. The odds are this will not be the case quite this soon."

omega59 said:
Hi, Just wanted to send an update, and what to do next
smile.png

http://i68.tinypic.com/16adtg7.jpg

Easy... sit down and have a sandwich.  Put your feet up and wait another 2-3 days.

Snack dose time.

Regarding the weird floating bits... I'd remove them if I were you.

Ok I'm gonna do a drop of Ammonia. What are they and how do I remove them.

Most reactions

Back