Thinking Of Setting Up 10 Gallon Nano Sw Tank

don't get rid of a freshwater tank :-(
plus, it would be better to get a new, bigger sw tank.
have heard that sw tanks are very hard if they are under 55 gallons, unless they are those bio cube things...

Yes, smaller saltwater tanks can be quite a bit more difficult. You really have to keep an eye on it. Bad things happen very fast as there isn't as much water volume to dilute the toxins.

Hydrometers and refractometers both will measure salinity. Refractometers will do a more accurate job. If you plan on keeping corals, you really should invest in a refractometer.

No clown, of any kind, definately not for a 10 gallon long term, a small one (less than an inch) could do well a year or two but needs to get moved out when grown.

Id just get a goby and shrimp pair, they work together as a team to hunt, dig and keep guard of their burrow and can probably provide hours of entertainment.

okay then it's a royal gramma and what ever else i decide cause i have lots of time.

Thanks, can I fill my tank with freshwater then add salt when i get it? I will have powerheads on when I put salt in.

What is RO water?

RO = reverse osmosis. Filtered. Nearly pure water. Not as pure (but usually good enough) as ro/di (distilled) or di.

Yep you can put the water in, then mix. Once you get organisms in there you will need to mix it in a separate bucket though.

RO/DI is not distilled (if that what you were implying, if not, i apologize), DI stands for de-ionize, as the name implys, it removes ions from the water. If you use only DI you probably get as pure as RO, if you use RO, and then immediatly put it through a DI filter, you have RO/DI which is normally 2-0 tds (total dissolved solids)

Distilled water through a glass distillery (copper distillary = bad) works just as good.

The reason for using pure water is tap water may contain all sorts of nasties that no chemical addition can get rid of (so de-chlorinized tap water isn't anywhere near as good as RO or RO/DI.

Oh, whoops, I did mean to put deionized. Sorry.

But I thought if you just put tap water through di you would get water that was just as pure but the life of your filter would be reduced. I thought I heard this being recommended for nano tanks because not as much water is put through the system.

Most reactions

Back