Thinking Of Getting Rid Of The Sand

Spurry

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi I'm getting some black algae in my tank and I'm wanting to up the water flow, I've lost my Vallic plants they slowley died of and all my plant leaves are still so there's not much of a current flowing in the tank, this leads me to the sand even with the little flow I have a still get shifting sand if I up the flow the sand blows all over the place

So I was thinking of going back to a small gravel or plant sub and adding to the water flow

How easy is this to do, I'm I right in thing big bucket for fish
Empty rest of the water remove sand

Clean leaves in old tank water
Add new sub
Fill new water treat water
Add fish back
And my tank will still be Cycled ?
and this give me the opportunity to paint the back black and move the tank...

Many thanks

Pretty much, also if your sand is light enough like you mention you could just siphon it out

After I refill it with fresh water and then treat the hole tank with tap safe how long should I give it before adding the fish back and turning the filter back on ?

Thanks

ok mate heres how i done it, twice :rolleyes: once on large front room tank, and again just last weekend on bedroom tank, both the same way just a different scale...

get an argos plastic box or 2.., i emptied at least half the water into this, remove plants, wood etc, stick them in the boxes of water, catch fish, in they go, heater in the box and plug in, also i put the filters in the water but not on, i then whacked an airstone in for a bit of movement. so youve now moved all or everything into the box, or boxes.

remove sand, and the rest of the water, i syphoned as much sand as i could before manually removing the last bits, give the tank a clean, i just used the tank water and a sponge.

the substrate which was rinsed for any dust etc went in, next i added some fresh water about a third full, whacked in the prime, another bucket of water, then in went the wood etc, quick scape or layout, filter in, heater in, on if covered with water, next was fishies with some the old water out the boxes, topped up with more fresh water, filter in and on as soon as its covered,more fresh water to top up, and bobs your aunties live in lover..job done :good:

riffraff

My link

boxes i used

riffraff

Hi Spurry

Just thought I'd add that changing the substrate and wiping the leaves wont rid you of black algae. Black algae in fact, all algae is birthed due to a number of factors. Almost like an equation of sorts. In this case: High Nitrite + Phos + Excess light = Black Algae If you were to remove/lower Nitrates and light from the equation then the Algae would die in a relatively short space of time. Simply wiping the leaves is the equivalent of sniping a leaf from a garden weed and hoping it dies.

Also if you prepare the substrate for use before removing the fish you can place them in the bucket during the change. You don't need to save the aquarium water as none of the bacs we need live in the water. Just take note of the temp before emptying the tank and try to temp match as best you can when refilling and you should be problem free. An hour or so in a bucket will do no harm to your fish.

As for your plants may I suggest you look into dirt before buying one of those fert laced pricey plant substrates. They have a best before date and are pretty much worthless after a year whereas dirt will see you right for 10 years + and costs 3bucks a bag.

High Nitrite + Phos + Excess light = Black Algae If you were to remove/lower Nitrates and light from the equation then the Algae would die in a relatively short space of time.

you have confussed me a little here as my test kit says 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and 10 nitrates and my light are 6hrs a day

As for your plants may I suggest you look into dirt before buying one of those fert laced pricey plant substrates. They have a best before date and are pretty much worthless after a year whereas dirt will see you right for 10 years + and costs 3bucks a bag.
thanks will give it some thought

My apologies

In the equation it should read High Nitrate + Phos + Excess light = Black Algae

My apologies

In the equation it should read High Nitrate + Phos + Excess light = Black Algae
ok but my water stats are

ammonia 0
nitrites 0
nitrates 10
light are on 6hrs a day

so i dont understand what your saying

What I am saying is that changing your substrate will not affect your algae. All algae (bar diatoms in a new setup) is birthed due to a number of contributing factors, a recipe of sorts. If you remove one of these ingredients the algae will die. Nitrates + Phos + Light = Black Algae. Seeing as your lights are on for only 6 hours I'd reduce the nitrate to 0ppm and that will kill the algae. It's the same principle as the fire triangle...

triangle_symbol.gif

Remove one and there will be no fire. And I suggested you adjust either your light or nitrate because the phos count is usually determined with by the water source/authority and I don't advocate trying to adjust tap water params.

What I am saying is that changing your substrate will not affect your algae.
i no that bit im changing it as it moving about to much with the flow i have

All algae (bar diatoms in a new setup) is birthed due to a number of contributing factors, a recipe of sorts. If you remove one of these ingredients the algae will die. Nitrates + Phos + Light = Black Algae. Seeing as your lights are on for only 6 hours I'd reduce the nitrate to 0ppm and that will kill the algae. It's the same principle as the fire triangle...

ok so how do i remove the nitrates, more water changes ????

Any number of ways...

You could change what you're feeding, how you're feeding, and also try a day of skipping food or feeding peas. You could also get some plants that you like the look and in this case preferably plants which grow fast (like a Hygrophila corymbosa.) Add a root tab which doesn't contain nitrate and as it/they grow they'll suck up the nitrates.

It's really all about balance.

Ok so if I manage this, will it die off on the plants I have
Or will they need to be taken out?

Ok so if I manage this, will it die off on the plants I have
Or will they need to be taken out?

Edit: todays stats 24hrs after 60% water change are:

PH 6 ppm
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrates 5 ppm

Once established the algae can live off algae @0.5ppm so lowering it to the above level will not really help. Could you post pics of the algae just to make sure where talking about a specific algae. The names for one particular algae type tends to vary for forum to forum. For example bba is loosely called black algae elsewhere :unsure:

Also what is your current stocking?

Most reactions

Back