Thinking of a rack...

I hope someone has a solution rather than pointless jokes. I thought about a similar thing myself some time ago but the one thing that put me off it, apart from the wife, was the uncertainty of the floor strength. I'd hate to fill a rack with tanks full of water and see it crash into the kitchen.
We're sorry... It was just the name of the thread 😅

Anyways... Yah that does sound irritating that the system doesn't fit... Is there a way to get it shipped to you or maybe cut it down and then re build it at home?

or perhaps he was thinking of this type of rack
a rack or ribs
Smoked-Pork-Ribs.jpg
Now we're talking....

I hope someone has a solution rather than pointless jokes.

Do not call me Pointless! :lol:

That being said, if building racks (which should be easy), remember to include diagonal bracing (or plywood panels) on both the back and sides. You can make a nice looking, easy to load rack with just 90 degree structural members that given the wrong set of circumstances will catastrophically fail.

@Wills, I have an easy DIY design for tank stands, but can't seem to find it on my home PC...I know I have it saved at work...I'll try to remember to post it here tomorrow

Go to a hardware store ad look at their metal shelving. You can get cheap shelving that holds 25-50kg and better quality stuff that holds several hundred kilograms. Always assume the stands/ shelving don't hold the stated weight because most of them sag a bit when you start adding weight to them.

You can make stands out of angle iron and some people use adjustable wire shelving units that you can change the height of each shelf on. Like the one on the link below but without wheels.

If you know someone who has welding gear, you can make something up.

I've been mulling over my fish keeping recently and think I want a rack. It started by seeing a random facebook marketplace advert for a rack all the kit and 6x 2 foot tanks and I thought 'huh that would be cool... but what would I keep in all those small tanks with my hard water' so I started thinking about it and I got a pretty cool list... I'd need to swap some of the 2 foot tanks for a bigger one, this rack would allow a 70cm x 60cm foot print tank and height up to about 40 maybe 50cm height so some ok volumes there. I got to about 4 species/groups I'd want to do (one of those might get sorted in an other tank) which are a Lake Inle biotope, Shell Dwellers, Livebearers and a Red Congo Puffer, leaving 1-2 tanks for raising fry from the live bearers and cichlids, possibly the Inle fish if I got them to breed.

The cichlids and live bearers could provide an income source for the hobby which is always appreciated, not sure which live bearers I'd want to do maybe a rarer natural strain or try and get hold of some really nice line bred species?

Now the rack I saw is too big to get in my car but a few cm which is annoying but its made a bit of an itch as it feels like something that I can achieve for not loads of money. So thats where I need some help, does anyone know of a simple racking system I could use for the tanks to go on? Preferably with metal shelves as a lot of the ones I've seen have MDF shelves that feel like they would fail at a bit of water. I want to achieve about 6 tanks and I want a stand that could accommodate a 90cm tank.

And does anyone here know where to get quite cheap, basic tanks - possibly optiwhite and rimless but lets see on cost.

Any advice on setting something like this up would be greatly appreciated :)

Wills
Facebook market place would be a good starting place Wills.

Good deals like above on there all the time.

Facebook market place would be a good starting place Wills.

Good deals like above on there all the time.
What language is that on the FB link??
Looks like it's a European language

There are some very good metal racks out there and the manufacturers provide load information. @Lynnzer mentioned floor strength. That is a very important consideration and you should consult a contractor if you are planning a very heavy load. The advantage to wood , in my mind , is that you can make it look nice with your choice of finish. Metal looks commercial and utilitarian to me. That is a consideration depending on what room of the house it's going into. With wood don't assemble it with nails or screws on the load bearing portions. Bolt it together because nails and screws break .

Most reactions

Back