Thinking Marine....

matt_storey

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi, I am thinking of getting into marine fish.

Obviously being a complete noob when it comes to Marine fish (Ive only really kept tropical) I only want a small nano tank with a few clown fish.

Basically what i want is as much advice, tips, help i can get, from set up to cheapest way to start :)

Thanks Matt

Hi, I am thinking of getting into marine fish.

Obviously being a complete noob when it comes to Marine fish (Ive only really kept tropical) I only want a small nano tank with a few clown fish.

Basically what i want is as much advice, tips, help i can get, from set up to cheapest way to start :)

Thanks Matt

Hi mate!.... If you decide to go salty then may I strongly recommend that research first as marine takes alot more work and dedication to keep running smoothly.

A good start would be to check out the journals on here as it covers setting up and maintaining tanks and pretty much step by step what people did.

Also check out some of the older posts in this section as I'm sure you can imagine we get these questions all the time.
I answered a couple of the last ones only. A few days ago so it would be well worth the read as it will give you an idea on what you need and how much you can expect to pay.

What you need to ask yourself is what type of setup do you want (FO/FOWLR/REEF etc) as this will effect what type of equipment you will need.
Secondly what size tank are you gonna go for as the smaller the harder to maintain.
Larger tanks are more forgiving if you make a mistake as there would be more LR to house more good bacteria to compensate for pollutants.

Check out the older posts and the journals and you will find all the answers you will need + do entry of research.

Basics you will need:

Test kits
Live rock (preferably cured to reduce cycle time) 1kg per 9L of water
RO water
Reef salt
Refractometer ( not hydrometer) for measuring salinity (1.025 sg)
Phosphate remover to reduce algae growth and improve coral growth
LR rubble (live rock is your biological filter)
Protein skimmer (mechanical filtration)
Lighting ( min T5 for soft coral. Metal halides for lps etc)
Powerhead/s ( need to aim for 20x turn over the capacity of the tank)
Heater (set at 25-26 degrees)

And last of all...............a tank (min 25g to keep clowns)

Oh! And how are my parrots doing!...........they still alive! Lol

Hi,

To start if you want Clownfish, it's a minimum of 30g tank required. The bigger the better. Have a read of this, there are some mistakes that need creasing out but they're only minor. This is for a VERY basic setup.

SIMPLE TANK SET UP

This setup is the simplest setup you can have, and is only possible on small tanks of 155 litres or less. It’s important to remember this is the bare minimum setup and it will normally not be as easy to maintain than if you were to use a more advanced system setup such as a sump.

What is also important to understand is that this setup will require more cleaning and will minimise the number of fish you can keep.

Why? Within a marine tank, your fish, coral and creatures will consume the natural nutrition which is held within the water. These nutritional elements within the water are crucial for good health, growth and colouration. In smaller tanks there is less water and therefore the resources from the water will be used at a faster rate. Without some of these elements, the water quality will decrease, which can cause symptoms such as low PH which in turn can cause death. This is why we do water changes.
Each fish/animal will produce a bio load, which contains ammonia. Ammonia is extremely toxic to fish, and will, if left high, kill them pretty quickly. Ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites are toxic and harmful to inverts and fish. The ways which we counter these, with this type of setup up, is through the live rock, which is a natural filter which removes these toxins. The filter pump, and protein skimmer help clean the water, and add beneficial help to the live rock. The filter pump is useful for running phosphate remover, bio cylinders, carbon etc.

BASIC EQUIPTMENT LIST
- A tank no more than 155 litres.

- A filter pump suitable for marine systems. This should be able to filter the water, and remove/reduce any ammonia and nitrates that are harmful to your aquariums live stock. I recommend the FLUVAL 400 series for most systems but any similar filters should be adequate. (optional, but highly recommended)

- A Protein Skimmer. This is a smaller filter pump which uses air bubbles to help maintain clean water. This is especially essential for those of you who wish to stock corals, and inverts.

- A Heater. This is needed to keep your tank at the correct temperature. A reef system should be kept between 75° - 80° and a fish only system at the same.

- A Powerhead. This is a type of fan which is used underwater and used to create a flow in the system. This is important to keep the fish happy in their environment, to oxygenate the water, and for coral health. Dependant on the setup and tank size you may want to get two.

- Lighting. This will depend again on your tank setup. For soft corals, most LPS and some (minimal) SPS corals 2x T5’s will be perfectly acceptable. If you want anemones and/or to maximise your coral options/ corals health then you can go for 4x T5’s or metal halides. T8’s are the minimal lighting I would recommend for corals, and fish. The less the volume of water, the less light you require.

OTHER STUFF
- A thermometer to ensure your heater is working and temperature is correct.

- Food, for fish, and corals. Marine fish food should consist of live, frozen and flake/pellet food. Marine snow/calcium/copepods for corals.

- Test kits for Ammonia, Nitrates, Nitrites, and PH as a minimum.

- Refractometer for measuring the salt to water ratio. Should be between 1.024 - 1.027.

STOCKING
- Live Rock is essential for these size tanks as it is the main filter for the water and will remove ammonia and nitrates. A filter pump will not be enough on its own, and will require quite some quantity of live rock to filter it. You should aim for aprx 1 pound (minimum) - 1.75 pounds per gallon of water.

- Corals are not really restricted with the tank size, and provided filtration is good then most corals will thrive provided lighting and water quality is adequate.

ADVANTAGES
- Minimal costs compared to other setups.

- More space under the tank, and easier to move.

DISADVANTAGES
- Harder to maintain as you will need to clean filters, and test more often.

- Harder to correct an issue if it arises. Basically this issue comes with having a smaller tank, if something goes wrong, it becomes a problem quicker as there is less water and therefore takes less time to go wrong.

- You will want BIGGER! As soon as you buy your tank, you will want bigger. Smaller tanks limit the fish you can stock, and the quantity you can have. For example you cannot keep Tangs, (EG. Regal Tang, Dory from Finding Nemo)

SYSTEM MAINTENCE
This varies from system to system and each reefer may advise differently however in a reef tank filtered by a pump and protein skimmer your tank maintenance will increase.

DAILY -
1. Test water parameters for Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite, and PH (as the bare minimum)

WEEKLY -
1. Clean Filter pump
2. 10-20% Water change.
3. Clean/empty protein skimmer
4. Test Salinity.

MONTHLY -
1. Change supplements in the filter pump (normally bio cylinders, carbon, etc)

I hope your not referring to my post regarding the 'mistakes!'. Lol

I've only stated what you've put, only in very basic detail to give the dude an idea.

Where did you get 30g min for clowns?.......I've been told by a number if people min is 20-25 g

Still.........it's a cracking post anyway! Full of all the essential info. If only it was on here when I was starting out.

20g is fine for a single pair of percula or ocellaris clowns, but don't expect to put anything else in. When they bond and begin to breed they can and likely will wreak havoc on any other tank inhabitant. I currently have a perc x ocy combination by themselves in a 29 usg tank.

great post lewis, hey woody yeah apparently its 30g minimum and mainly for the reasons kj23502 stated but i sometimes think these figures are a little random so always best to get the experiences of others on here.

Noooo woody!! I meant there's mistakes in that chunk I posted!!! Haha. I posted that on the other post and Donya kindly pointed out some errors that I haven't had time to amend yet! I didnt mean your post had mistakes!! Sorry mate hope you didnt take offence!

I guess it's a lot to do with personal opinion re tank size for clowns, I'm going on what otters have said on here before and what my books say. But it's a varied opinion!

Only little bits are wrong / need explaining! Things like what the protein skimmer does and stuff!

Most reactions

Back