Thinking About Doing Saltwater

bloatedguppy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well I've been thinking and I think I want to start a small saltwater tank! I was wanting to get a 12-14gal bio or nanocube as my aquatics store recommended, are these great tanks? I've personally have only have had fresh water but want somthing a bit different, So I thought saltwater would be great. I still need to get alot of info since I don't know where to start but that will give me enough time to save up for supplies. Anyway I'm wanting a tank with a pair of some sort of clownfish, a shoal of damsels, some shrimp and crabs, and other invertibrates. Anyway sound good let me know your ideas.

First off I say read the FAQs at the top of this forum section. Then, I say get the largest tank you can afford and have room for. You'll find that the amount of fish you can have in sw is much less than freshwater.
Wiht a 12-14 nanocube you'd prob get away with a pair of small clowns and MAYBE one other small fish, though that'd be pushing it. Of course you could have some hermits and a few smails, too.
If you go with that tank I'd do 2 smaller fish (gobies, firefish, that sort) and may one clown, though clowns are pretty active IME so I don't recommend them for that small of tanks. Many others will though so that's just up to you.
Hope this helps!
Oh, and be ready to empty your wallet -- but it's worth it!

Look into something more like clown gobies, I wouldn't keep a clown in anything under a 20 either.

One shrimp, unless you go for the small species of shrimp, though hermits and snails are fine.

This costs a lot, my tank is four months old and has somewhere in the range of $500 in equipment(all of which is second hand) and another $300 in livestock, and it's nowhere near fully stocked. I was pretty lucky with my tank I was given the live rock, and most of the equipment really really cheaply for about a quarter of the price it would usually go for second hand. My tanks not that big either, 40g though it's got a very small footprint 76cm x 35cm. My tanks nowhere near fully stocked either and the only reason it has so much money sunk into it already is because my Mum took an interest and has been buying livestock herself.

Be prepared to pay alot, unless you go for a Fish Only tank which seems kind of boring to use a nano for, your gonna be putting down a lot of money.

Read and research as much as you can and don't just blindly trust the LFS people, too many people have lost a lot of money that way.

Well I got a few books today swelling with so much information. I do agree that it takes alot of time and patients also money even with a small tank. My aquatic's shop is pretty trust worthy though as they will recommend other places like petsmart or petco if they don't have it or if you want a better price. Also it has just had its saltwater expanded. My books say for a beginner "like me" the best size tank is about a 55 gal but I really want a bio, nano cube cause they look awsome. I want to do a mini reef tank and start with that first before adding fish. Also I understand most books and sites say that mandarin gobies are hard to keep. Is this because of there picky diet?, or are they just not very hardy? I was hoping to make a species tank with a pair since you guys suggest gobies but I will not be surprized if you tell me to not even think about it. I understand the mostly eat copepods but my store sells them and I was thinking about raising enough before adding gobies so the could eat mine. My biggest desicion is with the amount of money for a small saltwater tank is that I can get an 100gal for freshwater which I'm framiliar with for about the same price, its just I really want to start in saltwater but its just all new. I might be moving this summer to so I want to know if I'm moving first before I set everything up. but I'm now think of a larger cube right now which will be more money but then I can put somthing in it.

common names are confusing you. If you see something such as a mandarin goby/blenny (which is a dragonet) or scooter blenny/goby (another dragonet i think) then dont get them.

On the other hand, true gobies are quite easy to care for, as well as certain blennys (with exceptions).

these are true gobies and MOST are easy to care for.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquariu...ies.cfm?c=15+31

damsel fish are also very hardy and everything, but can be extremely violent and active swimmers, so i wouldnt get one.

there are 29 gallon bio cubes

common names are confusing you. If you see something such as a mandarin goby/blenny (which is a dragonet) or scooter blenny/goby (another dragonet i think) then dont get them.

On the other hand, true gobies are quite easy to care for, as well as certain blennys (with exceptions).

these are true gobies and MOST are easy to care for.
[URL="http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquariu...ies.cfm?c=15+31"]http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquariu...ies.cfm?c=15+31[/URL]

damsel fish are also very hardy and everything, but can be extremely violent and active swimmers, so i wouldnt get one.

there are 29 gallon bio cubes

I might just get an 30 gal long tank like it says on the faqs page also it says bio and nanocubes are not good for begginers! Would you agree?

well, to an extent, i started with a 20 gallon, i went through a crash in the early stages (it does take a while to get the hang of it, and since it was a small tank....)

There are 29 gallon cubes out there, maybe not the bio-cube company, but i dont really see a difference in any of them. If you want to go with a bio-cube, use the 29 gallon, or 34 gallon red sea one, but the 34 gallon is quite pricey.

I agree, if you do like the look of the cubes, look for a 24 or 29 gallon model. Depends on which side of "The Pond" you live on, but over here, Oceanic and D&D make good nano cubes in those sizes. I also agree, Mandarins really should not be placed in a tank as small as this. They can certainly over-predate on pods and decimate the population. This is especially troublesome if the aquarist is pretty new to the hobby. Sure they can be managed, but it usually takes people a few years worth of experience before they're ready for such a challenge.

Most reactions

Back