Think Fish Go Blind After Turning Lights On?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

When I woke up this morning I went to turn the lights on my Discus tank. Every I turn them on in the morning, I notice how their eye color is more dull (normally red it seems white.) They then sink to the bottom and don't move for a few minutes. Right after I turned the lights on this morning I dropped some food in. It sank to the middle of the tank (it's normally gone by then) they all rushed to it and where trying to bite at it but missed every time. As if there depth perception was messed up. It was pretty funny seeing them trying to eat and couldn't. :lol:

Not that it's too important or anything but I think they go blind for a period after the lights are turned on from darkness. Just though I would share my story this morning. :lol:

Could just be the shock for going to very poor light (where their eyes are acclimatised to night vision) to then getting a bright light turned on.

Imagine if your walking at night and suddenly get a torch shone in your eyes - same thing with your fish.

I have some LED blue mooonlights that come on a fair bit before the main lights to "lessen the blow" and also to try to make the lighting conditions a bit more natural (see my avatar)

Lol I noticed this with my golden Zebra danios and Rummy nosed tetras. I turned the lights on the feed them today and they all went berzerk and swam around the tank like they just go blinded by the light.

I remember some time ago, I turned on the lights for one of my bettas, Leroy, to feed him. When I dropped the food in, he didn't take notice (still sleepy, I figured). When he figured out there was food, he kept lunging for them, but kept missing. It had me concerned for a while, worrying that I was making him go blind because I had been cutting back on the hours the light was on (pure laziness).

I'm guessing this is the same reason all my ADFs go beserk and go flying, crashing into the walls when I turn the lights on in the morning.

gfaduck is correct about the fish being shocked by the sudden bright light. In the morning you should open the curtains or turn the room lights on, then wait 15-30minutes before turning the tank lights on. If you have more than one light on the tank then turn one on, wait an hour, then turn the other light on.

At night before bed turn the room lights on, then turn the tank lights off. Wait 30minutes and then turn the room lights off.

If you just go and turn the tank lights on in the morning the fish will suffer quite a bit of stress and many fish have jumped out of tanks or panicked and damaged themselves by swimming into the glass.

LED or moonlights are also a good choice.

gfaduck is correct about the fish being shocked by the sudden bright light. In the morning you should open the curtains or turn the room lights on, then wait 15-30minutes before turning the tank lights on. If you have more than one light on the tank then turn one on, wait an hour, then turn the other light on.

At night before bed turn the room lights on, then turn the tank lights off. Wait 30minutes and then turn the room lights off.

If you just go and turn the tank lights on in the morning the fish will suffer quite a bit of stress and many fish have jumped out of tanks or panicked and damaged themselves by swimming into the glass.

LED or moonlights are also a good choice.

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll consider getting a moonlight. I didn't think it was such a big deal, but if they suffer stress, that's not something I want.

Most reactions

Back