Thing On Lr

jayphr99

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i have a couple of things growing on LR. one is a round feather looking type about 5mm in diameter when anything goes by it quickly dissapears then come back out like a fan a few seconds earlier. the other is like a orange sort of flower forming with like little tentacles from it about the same size as above. i have only had these appear since putting in calcium, iodide and reef supplements about a week ago. I know a bit vague but any ideas. My camera is broke at min so unable to provide pics soz.

1st one sound like Feather Dusters - Good

2nd I think sounds like manjanos or aiptasia. - Bad

Can I ask why you are adding addatives to your tank

:huh:

my LFS told me to. he said that you need to replace the things that are lost. he said calcium and iodide are lost. also that it is good for LR and will make things grow on it better

my LFS told me to. he said that you need to replace the things that are lost. he said calcium and iodide are lost. also that it is good for LR and will make things grow on it better

I think your LFS is talking BS - Every thing your ROCK needs will replaced when you do a Water Change

I think he is just trying to make a $

:no: :no:

I think your LFS is talking BS - Every thing your ROCK needs will replaced when you do a Water Change

I think he is just trying to make a $

:no: :no:
i think you maybe right the cheating B**t**d. he just ripping me off. thanks. I just found some pics of aiptasia and looks like the one. what should i do and what can it do

Have a look at This site (worth bookmarking) it shows a list of good & bad hitchikers.

As for the aiptasia, they are concidered a pest becasue they can multiply out of control, I persoanlly left the few I have spotted in my tank (my Raccon will take care of them) but if you wanna get rid of them then look for a product called Joes Juice which comes with a syringe used to inject the soloution in to the aiptasia nem.

Are you US or Uk based?

:thumbs:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PS I wouldnt recommend a Racoon Fish as they are a complete Pain in the A** to get feeding & are inclinded to much corals

I think I have gotten very lucky with mine but mostly they are best in FO setups (if you can get them to eat)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have a look at This site (worth bookmarking) it shows a list of good & bad hitchikers.

As for the aiptasia, they are concidered a pest becasue they can multiply out of control, I persoanlly left the few I have spotted in my tank (my Raccon will take care of them) but if you wanna get rid of them then look for a product called Joes Juice which comes with a syringe used to inject the soloution in to the aiptasia nem.

Are you US or Uk based?

:thumbs:
PS I wouldnt recommend a Racoon Fish as they are a complete Pain in the A** to get feeding & are inclinded to much corals

I think I have gotten very lucky with mine but mostly they are best in FO setups (if you can get them to eat)
midlands uk. i am pretty new to this so can you help me with a light question. i only have two 3 ft flouresent 1 white and 1 blue 03 actinic is this good enough to support life forms on rock ie polyps or corals and general stuff .thanks

Any idea on the wattage of the bulbs??

I would sugegst upgrading to either halides or if you want something under hood then T5 Power Compacts are very good

What Corals are you thinking of keeping ?

I would sugegst upgrading to either halides or if you want something under hood then T5 Power Compacts are very good

30 w each . the trouble i have is the hood is built onto tank i could take it off but with it on i can only have the two bulbs in. it has a refector behind if that much makes much difference. i am thinking of some polyps first then after some mushroom coral then sponges and leather if poss

30 w each . the trouble i have is the hood is built onto tank i could take it off but with it on i can only have the two bulbs in. it has a refector behind if that much makes much difference. i am thinking of some polyps first then after some mushroom coral then sponges and leather if poss

Is the tank a jewel ??

:D

Is the tank a jewel ??

:D
no its a ferplast cayman. i tried to avoid jewel was told was crap

I would definatly suggest upgrading your lighting to either a T5 Luminaire

Or by adding T5 power Compact Bulbs under the Hood

What Size (Gallonage) is your Tank

Have you upgraded or adding to the overall Flow of the tank

I would definatly suggest upgrading your lighting to either a T5 Luminaire

Or by adding T5 power Compact Bulbs under the Hood

What Size (Gallonage) is your Tank

Have you upgraded or adding to the overall Flow of the tank
55 gallon tank and the internal filter does 900l l/h with 2 1200 l/h power heads and 1 900 l/h power head 25 kg live rock at min

Hey Jay

Flow & LR sound good to me mate

As I say I personally would upgrade you Lighting if you are thinking of adding corals TBH

:cool: :cool:

Hey Jay

Flow & LR sound good to me mate

As I say I personally would upgrade you Lighting if you are thinking of adding corals TBH

:cool: :cool:
cheers chac ill check out those light units. thanks for your help. see ya around.

Most reactions

Back