They all have FINROT!!!!!

Kara101584

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Well, I should say ALL... About 3 out of my gang now have horrible fin rot that has developed overnight after their water change! What could cause this? I haven't done anything different with their water changes.

possibly if you used the same water changing devices to clean their tanks.

Within 8 hours my Betta went from healthy to a tail in ribbons. A month after that his bottom fin ended up a mess too. I suspect he will get it all ovetr his body and I can't seem to get him better at all. I am really frustrated like you must be. Good Luck with your fishies!!!

Sorry to hear of your recent disease outbreak. I once lost 13 bettas over a three week period, because I bought an infected betta from a local fish store, and back then I did not sterilize the turkey baster that I used to siphon out the tanks and containers. I unknowingly spread the columnaris bacteria to every betta I had. Columnaris is nasty and can kill a seemingly healthy betta in 24 hours, showing up in different ways (finrot, gill fuzz, body fuzz, bubbled lip).

I would suggest a combination of anti-fungal and anti-bacterial medications with some melafix. Then you would need to sterilize your tanks, nets and siphons, even the tanks of the healthy fish. My mistake was not sterilizing everything immediately. Once I sterilized everything, the outbreak stopped, but I lost 70 to 80% of my bettas. It was a tough lesson to learn.

I have a special net just for the infected Betta and a mayo jar that I use to put him while I clean the tank. That has kept the goldfish from getting the disease I think--but then he has short fins and tail and I do not know if they get fin rot like the male Bettas do.

If Apollo dies from this I will be throwing away the aquaview and all things inside and getting a new one to house the next betta--I think I will get a female next time--shorter fins and all.

Finrot has to be about as high up on my list as driving red hot pokers in my eyeballs. I have had such a horrible time with finrot that I am refusing to buy any more bettas until the sick ones I have either die or get better. They only have two options. So sorry to hear about the rot, try some IAL, Maracyn, and lots and lots of clean water. Nothing has worked for me yet, and I am baffled, but if you see some sort of brown gunky stuff suspended in your water, clean and scrub everything immediately.

Most reactions

Back