There's a red splotch on shrimp. I'm worried.

October FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jinx_

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello.

I came back from work not too long and I noticed this red splotch on my amano.

What is it? Is it dangerous? I don't see it on my other shrimps.

IMG_3280.jpeg
IMG_3281.jpeg
IMG_3282.jpeg

Also, if you look close enough: my java moss grew red berries..

It looks like a piece of "something, food or whatnot" got caught between two pleurons... But this part is called Tergum.

It's not berries... It's cherries !!!

It could be food in the digestive tract or a parasitic worm.
How long has it been like that?
How long have you had that shrimp?

If you have had the shrimp for a few months it's probably just food.

I've had these amano shrimps for nearly a year now. I haven't had any issues with them, only at the start I lost some shrimps to I don't know what. Since then? No issues.

Never knew shrimps were like toddlers, having food stuck in impossible spots...

Their eyes tell everything tho... 😬

IMG_3286.jpeg

Although, if it would be a parasite, how would I know? If it's food, why is red? Does it come out on its own or with molts?

Sorry, just wanna make sure :)

Although I think I seen it as something raised, I think it was fluffy. But again, I might just be paranoid 🤣 Hopefully nothing that spreads :)

Although, if it would be a parasite, how would I know? If it's food, why is red? Does it come out on its own or with molts?

what food do you feed the tank? Red could be from flakes or hikari micro pellets for example

cherry_vs_amano_shrimp.jpg

That brown line across the shrimp is the digestive system usually always a brown/green unless other food has been fed such as blood worms or coloured flakes in my experience

If it's a parasite... It will grow.

If it's food stuck under the shell, It will go away at once or dissolve with time. periodic observations is key to early diagnostic.

what food do you feed the tank? Red could be from flakes or hikari micro pellets for example

View attachment 349921
That brown line across the shrimp is the digestive system usually always a brown/green unless other food has been fed such as blood worms or coloured flakes in my experience
I feed them Fluval Bug Bites, Hikari Algae Wafers, left over betta pellets from Dennerle, they had tons of frozen daphnia couple days ago. Nothing that's red, which is my concern is growing..

If you seriously been able to gauge that growing from observation to another.

I would immediately remove and euthanize that shrimp.

And live in fear for the next year.

If you seriously been able to gauge that growing from observation to another.

I would immediately remove and euthanize that shrimp.

And live in fear for the next year.
I mean, I saw tons of post on other sites about these dots. Either red or orange, different sizes as well. Haven't seen any replies that would be something concerning.

I don't think I would be able to bring myself to euthanise that lil shrimpy :(

Parasites would be a parasitic worm that got lost in the shrimp. Sometimes worm eggs from sheep, cattle, pigs or birds end up in waterways where the fish or shrimp eat them. The egg hatches and the worm larvae wanders around and gets lost because it's not meant to be in a fish or shrimp. The worm larvae then sets up home wherever it ends up in the body. The fish or shrimp can have a red or black dot anywhere in the body and that is where the larvae spends the rest of its life. If it's a worm larvae, it isn't contagious and the shrimp will simply have the spot there until the shrimp dies.

If it's red food you see it as red while it's going through the shrimp's intestine.

Monitor the red dot and if it goes away in a day or two then it's probably food, but you should see it move along the intestine until it disappears, which is the shrimp pooping it out.

If the red dot is still in the same place in a week's time, then it's probably a parasitic worm larvae and it shouldn't cause any problems. Just monitor and see how it goes.

If the red dot gets bigger, or moves around the body, or more red dots appear, post pictures asap because that could be something else.

Parasites would be a parasitic worm that got lost in the shrimp. Sometimes worm eggs from sheep, cattle, pigs or birds end up in waterways where the fish or shrimp eat them. The egg hatches and the worm larvae wanders around and gets lost because it's not meant to be in a fish or shrimp. The worm larvae then sets up home wherever it ends up in the body. The fish or shrimp can have a red or black dot anywhere in the body and that is where the larvae spends the rest of its life. If it's a worm larvae, it isn't contagious and the shrimp will simply have the spot there until the shrimp dies.

If it's red food you see it as red while it's going through the shrimp's intestine.

Monitor the red dot and if it goes away in a day or two then it's probably food, but you should see it move along the intestine until it disappears, which is the shrimp pooping it out.

If the red dot is still in the same place in a week's time, then it's probably a parasitic worm larvae and it shouldn't cause any problems. Just monitor and see how it goes.

If the red dot gets bigger, or moves around the body, or more red dots appear, post pictures asap because that could be something else.
Thank you a lot, I will monitor the shrimp then :)
So far, no more red dots and shrimp is acting like normal.

Most reactions

Back