The water in my 55 gallon evaporates

Goldfish are very messy fish, and also put off more ammonia than tropical fish. The problem does seem to be water quality. You can do a daily WC and see if that helps, or as suggested above hit up walmart and get a 10 gallon for $7.97.

Or you could drive down here to Eugene and i have a Green Terror that would.....uh.......love a "playmate".

:p :p :p :p :lol: :p :p :p :grr:

I guess what everyone seems to be missing here is the point that was made about the snails adding to the waste load!!

How can the gulping of air not be attributed to a water quality problem??

The other thing is this.....a great many people are very passionate about fish and just hate to see them mistreated.

Does everybody realize that even a feeder goldfish AKA a comet can grow to a very large size?? I had one that I took from my sister that when it died was every bit of 8"!!

Yes even feeders can be stunted in a tank that is to small, but then I guess that's ok because it's only a feeder.

My point being.....a person should be ready to accept the good responses along with some not so good responses when posting info of this nature.

Again....JMO and I realize nobody asked for it!!

CM

CM, it may just be my opinion, but your coments are always welcome as you have a wealth of experience to draw from and are a vry well respected member (oops, I mean moderator) of this forum

Thankyou cm,i felt like i was way out on my own there for a while.I admit that smaller tanks are useful for things like fry holding tanks and hospitals for small fish as you can use less medication but the minimum size tank for keeping fish in long term should be legally made 10 gallons,its about time fish had some of the same rights as dogs,cats and other pets.

You know what...........the tank was a gift from my sister to my son on his second birthday so back off on the dang tank thing. I got the smallest fish that "supposidly" didn't need too much fuss (okay, know I just pissed off all the AVID fish LOVERS - not freaks :/ ) but it is true according to the guy at the fabulous :sick: WALMART! Goldfish are lots of the time kept in bowls. Let's say a 1 gallon bowl, with nothing. Now, some of you were too ignorant and pompous to realize that when I was stating his tank accessories like the bad filter (at least he has one!!) I was too ranting about the fact that it was so crappy, but it came with the tank. At that point in my life, owning a 55 gallon was only a dream so a gift of this somewhat "large" goldfish bowl was nice. All I had to do was buy the fish. Secondly.......I'm not the only one on this forum Cat Fish, that has a 5 gallon or less. But mine only has one gold fish in it and that is a whole lot better than 2 or 3. I am trying to keep him as healthy as I can. Oh and CM.....were you just hunting for a way to make me look dumb, because all those quotes were a little cheap if you ask me. For one,.....ya I said that he is healthy, because he is and always has been and YES I did say he had a piece of cr@p filter, but I didn't say it doesn't work DID I!!! It's the same stupid filters a quarter of the people on here have so THERE! :angry:

I understand you care DEEPLY for your fish (Edited because I didn't mean to insult you, although I do think most of the fish you keep are ugly :alien: :wub: ), and I care for all of mine as well. By the way, I would never keep my dog in a 6 x 6 pen....he has a nice yard he lives in. My 55 gallon is a very special home for the fish that habitate it, and I was also planning on keeping my goldfish in it, and for you to quote me to make me look stupid.....which is what you were doing CM........about my fish swimming back and forth. Well, all I can say is that you know darn well that isn't why I wouldn't leave him in the 55 gallon and you just wanted to make me look stupid regardless of what you come back and say. So that wasn't nice of you at all :/ Why didn't you post the rest.....like how he was chewing the HECK out of the other fish. He was just plain mean and sorry that most of us here aren't fish geniuses like you.

Another thing.......how do you guys know that I haven't been planning on buying a 10 gallon tank. It's as if I am the devil and I'm sitting here laughing at my gulping goldfish all day praying that he croaks or something. I do plan on it someday, and along with a 10 gallon CAT FISH...I would need a GOOD filter right CM. Now heaven forbid to go and get a piece of CRUD filter right CM. SO therefore I would have to buy a nice one and sorry but they aren't just 10 bucks here Cat Fish!!! Also....the hood so my cats don't eat it and a heater and I'd need gravel right and someone said plants TOO!!! So you do the math guys and then come back and tell me for under $10 I'd be set and I'm a monster for not getting it.

Thanks Impur.......I'll be driving through Eugene next week and maybe I'll take you up on that. Since my poor little Goldfish lives such a horrible inprisoned life I think it would be a whole lot better if I let your big fish just gulp him down. Saves me time and money anyway RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!

Silver

You need to learn to chill out,all that bad language is a good way of getting yourself banned and before you say it no that is not something i would want to see.
I have no personal problem with you and would write the same post for any other member on this site,sorry if my style of writing offends you but it was and is not intended to upset you just to let you know that it is a unsuitable way of keeping a fish.

As for setting up a tank on the cheap this is how i have done it in the past

10 gallon tank with plastic cover glass type lid £15
small sponge type filter (if its a tank with one fish this is more than adequate) £3
length of air line and conectors for the filter £1
Total cost £19

I dont know what that is in dollars and it is presuming you have a air pump to power the filter,you dont need gravel but can add it if you like,bare bottom tanks are easier to keep clean.Since you are a adult and pressumably have some means of income i shouldnt imagine this would break the bank.

Oh and if we are all fish geeks why do you bother coming here?

Clarification...............

My last post was not directed to anyone in particular...it was simply a blanket comment!!

We had this type of situation here not so long ago....when a member asked for "our thoughts" and I was the first to give the member mine!!

Unfortunately they were not what the person wanted to hear and it ended up ugly like this was is.

I thought I was giving my thoughts again as Were asked for.

Guess I was wrong.

I promise from now on to stay out of threads that ask for "any thoughts" because mine are obviously not wanted.

Silver I am sorry if I upset you or caused you any embarresment...it really was not my intent and I do hope you stay on as a member and continue to post.

CM

Hmmmm i was only messin around trying to get a laugh. Didn't actually think it would happen or even cross your mind. I was just tryin to lighten the mood. Apologies.

I guess some people are just easily offended,i tried my hardest to keep it civil and offered what i thought was good helpful advise even though my fish and i were both insulted,never mind. :huh:

CM, I was on the last post (I think) it was a very similar situation. Please continue to give your advice and opinions, I find them invaluable.

CFC, do worry, YOU didn't drive this person away. I have a large problem telling someone that I know that their tank is done wrong. They even have red tetras with large Africans. This is a very dificult delima to face, and breaking the truth to some one is very hard to do. And, when they don't take it well do you take it back? Do you tell them the truth was a lie? I do see her side (somewhat) in the fact that she took a lot of what was said as an attack on her personally. (Just incase you're watching, I know these two guys very well, and believe you me, they meant no harm)

:( I am sad that Silver decided that she can't be a part of this forum any longer, :/ but what really surprises me is that she expected different, and has been here for so long.

Most reactions

Back