The Tale Of 3 Tanks: Three Betta Fish, And Three Black Kuhli Loaches&#

GoldFishDreamer

Reaction score
I am new here, and slightly new to the Freshwater tank Hobby.
I am mainly looking to share my story at the moment, but advice is warmly welcomed.
Since I am new, a lot of these stories have allowed me to learn from, and I am more confident now about my fish care taking abilities.

I currently have a 10 gallon tank which house three Black Kuhli Loaches, and a Male crowntail Betta.
I have not seen any aggression or even flaring, from the betta, towards the Kuhli Loaches.
They even rub against him sometimes, and he is fine with it.
The betta, which I have named Alpha, is quite the eater, and has some slight bloating at the moment but is being treated for his piggy habits.(Dropsy is not the issue, he just over eats)

Alpha has previously shown aggression toward another betta, Named Gamma, in which I had attempted to house together in the 10 gallon with a divider(before I purchased the loaches). Gamma had some loss of his front ventral fin, as it had gotten wedged between the divider, and was either caught and snagged off, or nipped by Alpha.
I was forced to move Gamma into a smaller One gallon tank with a bubbler and some plastic betta grass, and he seems far less stressed and depressed, and slowly healing back his fins, thankfully. 
I also have another Red Betta, Delta, in a similar One Gallon Tank.
Delta was rescued from Wal-Mart, which I don't normally buy fish from Wal-Mart.  
He has a story, However:
I had passed the fish section and noticed there was a Betta in one of the big tanks, rather than in the jar/cups, and he seemed healthy enough, very bright in color and swimming about.
It just seemed odd he had been moved there. But I noticed after a moment, he was missing a large chunk of his Coudal (tail) fins, and his pectoral fins. I was sad, and thought he had fin rot at first. I was not going to buy him if he was sick, and I didn't think that any one else would either, so my boy friend and I moved on with our shopping.
I kept feeling so guilty though, but I was glad that someone had the decency to move him to the bigger tank though, but still disheartened that he was unlikely to be purchased due to his condition. But we went home without him still.  
I had to go back to Wal-mart the next day for some things, and I wanted to see if he was still there, and he was!
I kept thinking I didn't need to spend more money on a potentially sick fish, and let him be, yet again.
But that night I kept tossing and turning, and kept thinking about the poor little guy possibly suffering, and dying in the tanks of Wal-mart like so many other fish, when something like this could be treated fairly easily, at least with some TLC and time.
I've never felt so passionate about this kind of thing before!

I spoke to the woman in the fish/pet section and she said she was the one who had found him in one of the cups with another betta, which had been dead, and another of the cups which possibly housed the (dead) one of them had been cracked.
Now my first thought was that some little punks decided it would be funny to put two of them together and watch them fight to the death...
Or some stranger noticed a crack in the one's cup and loss of water perhaps, and unknowingly placed the two together, without realizing they would kill each other.

But she had re-housed him in the bigger tank, in hopes he would recover.
Although, he was left untreated with any kind of medications to help heal his fins.
I talked with her about purchasing him, and she was able to allow me to buy him for $2.00, where they are normally about $5 to $7 with tax included.
I got a few treatments for fin rot and bacterial infections(just in case), and was going to get him a One gallon tank, but the one's Wal-mart had all were missing parts or damaged and didn't even have a bubbler. At least for the one's within my current budget.
So I bought what I could, and took the little guy to Petsmart and bought a one gallon Aquascene Aquarium Kit, which cost $5 more than Wal-Mart's exact same thing, but it had everything in a sealed package.
Then I got him home, treated the water, and let him sit inside the spare betta cup I had, as he was inside a Wal-mart fish bag before, that would not fit inside the tank to allow him to get acclimated to the water. It's only been a few hours since I've had him home, and I am really hoping that everything will be alright. 

Also, I am noting that I plan on Upgrading BOTH of my One Gallon Tanks to 5 gallons soon enough. But for now, these guys need some TLC and some smaller space will also help me to be able to medicate them better as well. I am also very broke at the moment, thanks to these guys. But I feel it was needed. :)

I just wanted to share my story, and hope that my fishes will be happier too. 
Kind advice never hurts either. 

Tanks:
One Gallon: Blue and Red(some slight Purple) Crowntail Betta Named Gamma.
One Gallon: Solid Red Splenden Betta Named Delta.
Ten Gallon: Blue (and Lightly red) Crown Tail Betta named Alpha, and three Black Kuhli Loaches(No names yet)

I am in Love with all my fishes. <3

Day One: Delta seems very nervous, and darts away from my fingers when I press it to the glass.
Treatment for preventing infection will continue. 
Gamma and Alpha like to kind of investigate when I do that, some times they flare, and then calm down. 
I was even able to get Alpha and Gamma to swim through my fingers when I cleaned their tanks earlier.
The Loaches don't mind being touched either, they will wiggle away, but not as if they were frightened.
They are simply very energetic, and like to move around a lot.
They also love to play "Possum", where they will stop for a moment, sometimes go limp, or just let themselves float to the top of the water, and be very, very still. I'll lightly touch them, and they just dart away as if confused, or dazed.
I've watched them do this for the past few days now.  
My Boyfriend jokingly says maybe they have narcolepsy.
I have been doing some research, and from what I have seen from others, this seems to be a slightly common habit of most loaches to play dead. Although some fish owners say they have never seen their fish do it, but it does happen.

They bump into Alpha a lot, and he still doesn't seem to mind them at all. I've also seen them bump head first into another loach, and then move on to do it again. all of them like to swim around the corner of the tank in circles on the front pane of the glass, then dart off somewhere else. Sometimes they will even jump up out of the water for their gulps of air, sticking their whole head out of the water. These guys are highly entertaining.

I was also concerned about the loaches fitting into the filter slots, and getting trapped or hurt. I put some panty hose with a rubber band around it, in hopes it would help, but it has reduced the suction of the filter... Is there Any ways other than panty hose or a sponge, or is there some sort of super thin Mesh I could put around it instead to allow stronger water flow?       

Most reactions

Back