The "new Guy"/hi All :d

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

What kind of thing should I replace it with? They also included a free "polishing filter pad" which they suggest will last 2-3 weeks, would this be sufficient? or is it possible to just not put anything at all in that section of the cartridge?

My tank also doesn't seem to have any "condensation plates" or anything that would stop the fish, in the unlikely event that they jumped, they would be able to touch the lights.. is this normal to not have glass plates between the lights and water?

Also, is adding ammonia necessary to the fishles cycling process, i.e, would the "Filter Start" solution, that apparently contains bacteria be enough. If I do need Ammonia, where would be the best place to look in the U.K, someone suggested Boots (the shop) to me, is this correct?

That's all for now... again :p.
Wigster

Also, is adding ammonia necessary to the fishles cycling process, i.e, would the "Filter Start" solution, that apparently contains bacteria be enough. If I do need Ammonia, where would be the best place to look in the U.K, someone suggested Boots (the shop) to me, is this correct?

Filter start is usually considered pretty much useless. Even if it did contain live bacteria (unlikely since it's been on a shelf for ages) they would still need an ammonia source to grow. Adding it won't hrut but it probably won't do much either! :)

What kind of thing should I replace it with? They also included a free "polishing filter pad" which they suggest will last 2-3 weeks, would this be sufficient? or is it possible to just not put anything at all in that section of the cartridge?
Replace it with more sponge, or whatever you can get that'll fit! The 'polishing pad' is a very very fine media that is used purely for mechanical filtration to get any tiny pieces of debris out or the water. you can replace those if you want to, but you might just as well wash them out too tbh!

My tank also doesn't seem to have any "condensation plates" or anything that would stop the fish, in the unlikely event that they jumped, they would be able to touch the lights.. is this normal to not have glass plates between the lights and water?
I think it is normal, however, I don't like it; you can buy plastic condensation trays quite cheaply and trim them to fit; I've done it on all my tanks, or, if you're bit more flush, you can get a glazier to cut you some glass sheets to slide across.

That's all for now... again :p.
Wigster
Adding ammonia is the actual basis of the fishless cycle and so is essential; ammonia is what the fish produce, so that is what you must add to grow the correct bacteria to support the fish when you add them.
I know ammonia is a scary substance, but the household ammonia is in a 9.5% ammonia/water solution, so it is very dilute (just don't sniff it :crazy: )
Boots do do ammonia, but if you go in-store, they'll most likely look at you as if you're mad, or they'll come out with some wibble about not carrying in any more because of terrorism; you need to order it online and have it delivered to the shop to collect; or Homebase carries it, if you have one of those near you :good:

Awesome, just posting on my phone quickly to say I've ordered some ammonia for collection at my local store, was about £2, so that seems like s good price :).

Link to the one I bought: http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Household-ammonia-500ml_923908/

There are so many, many things when you are brand new to the hobby but the nice thing about a serious forum is that there are lots of people to jump in and discuss your various questions as they happen!

The fishless cycle you are embarking on is as much a learning journey as it is a necessary step to growing the two specific species of bacteria that will form the living biofilter in your tank. The skills surrounding the biofilter and "The Nitrogen Cycle" of environmental science that describes the underlying processes going on are core to deeper understanding of the hobby. All the little extra bits of understanding gained during this process will leapfrog you into being a more advanced hobbyist.

Good luck on your advanture and enjoy the learning process!

~~waterdrop~~ :)

Managed to get ammonia from my local Homebase, so managed to start the cycle tonight (I hope... will test the ppm later, and probably start a cycle thread).

My main concern at the moment is that on the 2nd of August I am going away for 5 days, and I doubt my cycle will have finished by then... is that anything I can do, other than get a friend to add the ammonia for me... I.e, if I dose it up quite a lot before I go would that be enough to keep the bacteria that has built up so far alive? Any advice appreciated on this matter please :)

Wigster

Is there a friend who could donate some nice, mature filter media to you? If they could cut some off theirs, you put it in yours, and your cycling is done in mere hours, day or two at most.

That's how we've cycled all our tanks. If you were close I could donate some of mine!
smile.gif

Unfortunately I know of no one in my area personally who has a tropical aquarium, and in the "List Of Members Willing To Donate Mature Filter Media To Newbies" thread, there is no one who lives vaguely close to me, I am in Cardiff, South Wales just in case anyone is wondering.

All of my LFS seem to use these humongous central filters, I.e they seem to have about 30 tanks linked up to this huge vat like filter. So not sure how they work, but it's a good point The Old Spouse, definitely worth an ask - I will ask when I'm in there on Saturday :).

grats on the new tank. good luck with your cycle! its a long process but very worth it.

if you are thinking about a pleco, i have a clown pleco that i really enjoy, and i do see him a couple times a week. hes great looking, but probably does nothing for algae! like someone said on here, make sure you get all your fish because you want them, not because u think u need them to clean or do some 'duty'!

my pleco!
059-1.jpg
061-1.jpg

That's a lovely looking pleco CrazyAirborne :D
Here's my tank... Just one question, is the angle of my heater correct, as I know my filter is on the opposite side to most people it seems (most seem to have it on left, and heater on a 45 angle on the right side of the tank)...
So, should my heater be at \ angle, or a / with my filter on the right of the tank and heater on the left.

Pic:
DSC_2170.jpg

Also I've set up a new thread for the log of my tank, found here:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/367500-wigsters-tank-journal-cycling/

I try to disguise my heater as much as possible and have it as low as possible (heat rises). So it was just about the last thing I did when setting up my tank ... positioning the heater.

Your heater looks fine :)

As for the ammonia, I would think its unlikely that by then you will have reached the stage of daily doing, so just top up the ammonia to 5ppm and test when you return :good:

Your heater looks fine :)

As for the ammonia, I would think its unlikely that by then you will have reached the stage of daily doing, so just top up the ammonia to 5ppm and test when you return :good:

+1 Unless you get some mature media you would be very (un)lucky to be adding the Ammonia daily by this point.

Most reactions

Back