The natural balanced aquarium - no water changes.

GaryE

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Don't you wish you could have what the title here says? Like any myth, the balanced community tank keeps returning as an idea because it offers us something we want. Eternal clean water would be a great thing. I was just sent the latest version by a friend who's a true believer in the method, and it got me thinking about the endless return of a debunked idea.

I was 'trained' in 'balanced aquarium keeping". It was the in thing when I was in my teens, back in the 1970s. You never changed water - indeed - old water had almost magical properties we were supposed to harness. Deep gravel, plants, lots of fish... and we all knew the lifespans of fish were short, right?

You can radically reduce water changing with a modified version of this way of working. I have killie tanks I change 30% of every 2nd or 3rd week. They are heavily planted, bio-filtered and have a startup stocking of one 2 inch fish per 5 gallons. True believers in balanced tanks tend not to mention that issue of numbers and species choice - I only run tanks that way for fish from swamps. The general trend for hobbyists is to ask how many fish they can keep in a tank, not how few.

When I go beyond 3 weeks, the fish lose vitality and seem more vulnerable to parasites, should any get in. They breed less. Based on that, I make basic changes (I never top up tanks - I do water changes to accomplish that).

I have no ammonia testing kits. I suppose I could walk my fish to the edge, delaying water changes until the test kit showed a colour that concerned me, but a pre-emptive routine in a tank that isn't overstocked (in time, that 10 gallon with a pair of killies usually gets up to about 15 adult fish, as they breed and I share out young fish). Test kits can be useful, but there is so much important info they don't give you that they can become hindrances as well as helps. Water hardness, acidity and alkalinity, tds, conductivity - you could spend a lot of time reading data, or you can change water and have 9 year old cardinals and 7 year old Bettas.

So I am being a little bit of a troublemaker with that title, but having started using balanced or natural aquarium techniques, and then having watched better methods replace them, I don't enjoy the return of this busted myth. Our tanks are too small, and our numbers of fish ambitions are too large. I could tell people what they want to here, and if I did it on youtube, I could probably have a good following. I look at natural in fishtanks this way - if I take proper care of my fish by doing regular as clockwork 25-30% water changes in most tanks (all of which are planted, well planted), then once a week I get to be a raincloud, a sewage system (less poetic) and a responsible, successful fishkeeper. It isn't a lot of work. Gardening, farming and raising animals seems to come naturally for many in our species. I can enjoy watching the field behind my house do what it does without my getting too involved. But if I want to grow tomatoes, I have to get into the garden and make it happen. It's the same for beautiful aquariums.

Walstad method seems to have become "old fashioned" when the shops are brim full of all the latest tech and additives all promising the easy way of fishkeeping

Diana Walstad's methodology does work if you have the patience (and a decent set of green thumbs) to actually achieve it.

Walstad method seems to have become "old fashioned" when the shops are brim full of all the latest tech and additives all promising the easy way of fishkeeping

Diana Walstad's methodology does work if you have the patience (and a decent set of green thumbs) to actually achieve it.

I overlooked that - thanks. Walstad's methods are great, but you have to follow her research. She really worked out a system, and a lot of the youtuber types like to reference her without showing how it works based on attention to detail. Oversimplifying an advanced technique like that really isn't doing anyone a service. But if you are a detail person who likes to experiment, that can be a great project.

If you are trying to avoid work, Walstad tanks are not the way to go. They are fantastic things though. Most of my tanks have air driven filtration, basic lighting, no CO2 and no heaters. I'm not a gadget or additives guy. Low tech all the way, but my tap and hoses are part of that approach. I am one of those 'fish first, plants as tools" types.

There are many ways to do things in and with tanks. But we cannot beat physics, chemistry nor biology. No matter how hard one tries you cannot keep an arowana in a 10 gal. tank. No matter how hard one tries, you cannot keep rift lake cichlids in acid water etc.

No tank is self maintaining, not even Walstad's. Not even the earth is self sustaining, it too will end. No matter how big an ecosystem, sooner or later it will collapse just as the universe will end.

Walstad tanks are not self sustaining. If they were you would never need to add anything to one. The water would not evaporate, you would not need to add food you would not need to use dechlor, you would not need test kits. And for sure you would not need lots of fish. As far as I am concerned what a Walstad tank offers is a way to be able to have fewer fish in a tank. Moreover, the types of plants one can have in a Walstad tank are limited.

I have a 15 gal well planted tank. It holds 3 white clouds, a few amano shrimp a few blue velvet shrimp and assassin snails. The most exciting part of having this tank is when I try to spot any of the tiny blue shrimp. I actually set it up as a place for a few excess plants. it is now mostly a jungle :-(

I have a heavily planted (I mean heavily, removing overgrowth on a weekly basis) grow out tank. It is 55 gallons, it is home to shrimp and snails on the daily and a nursery to albino BN fry when my pair get busy. It is the only tank I do not do much with. I top off, very minimal vacuuming with a turkey baster as I don't want to siphon up all the baby shrimp. Water changes are only a gallon at most every couple weeks(Basically the amount of water that is removed when I "vacuum" the surface of substrate). I often have to add ferts when there are just shrimp. My bio-load varies on if I have fry and how many, how big, ect. with them in there things are more balanced. My parameters are always on point (Amm: 0, Nitrite:0 and Nitrates vary: 5ppm to 15ppm )according to the test kit and the fry all grow quickly and are a nice "golden" albino shade. It has been running this way for 2 years and I have not had an issue with any aspect of it. I could not do that though with any other tank in my house however, I am limited to the types or plants I can keep because of the fish I keep. There would be a lot of redecorating going on in some of them. Not sure it is "Naturally Balanced" but it is super low maintenance compared to the others I have.

I have stood in amazement more than once at the tourist edge of Niagara Falls at the millions of gallons of fresh water that flows 24/7, 365 in the Niagara river and between the Great Lakes. And then again the output of the Amazon river is so great that fresh water can be collected 12 miles out at sea. So nature shows us that fresh water is constantly renewed....recycled, but renewed.

So some may think that their 'little balanced glass box' doesn't need much fresh water? Stop the madness. Generally speaking, there's no such thing as too much fresh water.

Yes lots of plants, especially fast growing floating plants can aid in water purification and along with a well developed and mature bio-system, partial water changes MAY be performed at less volume or frequency.
But then again, FRESH WATER RULES. :)

You don't even need Niagara Falls (@AbbeysDad were you the guy in the cheap blue raincoat?). I learn a lot about tanks by visiting brooks, streams and lakes. You notice something about population density, and if you stand in a brook, about water movement. I've enjoyed peering into lakes and seeing what look like dream planted aquariums, but in 100 square feet, I also see two or three fish - maybe a shoal of minnows but often not.
I've heard of massive population densities of, for example, migrating Corydoras, but they pass on by and don't linger. In tropical streams, I've seen about the same population densities as in Canadian lakes.
The 'balanced aquarium' doesn't even look at water movement, and therefore oxygen levels. If I could, I would have my tanks on permanent 24/7 slow water changing. I've seen it done, and the fish growth and colour was spectacular.
Ultimately, we should learn from nature. The first thing we see is a serious shortage of viable water bodies the size of our tanks. What to me is my huge 120 gallon is actually an extremely short length of ditch.

Most reactions

Back