The journal of my new tank (suggested by someone on the thread)

I'll be able to get a pic of the tank soon although there is a piece missing dont think It will to big an issue though I'll see what you lot think (because just about everything I know has been wrong so far)

I can attest - the vinegar works wonders on glass with calcium deposits. (@AdoraBelle Dearheart suggested it to me when I first got my 20g long. ;))
Wanted to follow up on this:

What is did is I got my tank in the bathtub (please be very careful not to break the tank) and turned it on one side. I then poured vinegar all over that side (the inside) of the tank and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Came back with a sponge and scrubbed really good.

Repeated that for the whole tank and then I used hot water and the sponge again to get rid of the vinegar smell.

Worked like a charm!

Wanted to follow up on this:

What is did is I got my tank in the bathtub (please be very careful not to break the tank) and turned it on one side. I then poured vinegar all over that side (the inside) of the tank and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Came back with a sponge and scrubbed really good.

Repeated that for the whole tank and then I used hot water and the sponge again to get rid of the vinegar smell.

Worked like a charm!
Ok I dont have a bath tub but I'm sure I can find something my shower is too small and I'd have to go up a flight of stairs (the tank is really heavy and my dad is always busy (only other person in the house capable of lifting it)) but I'll figure something out

Ok I dont have a bath tub but I'm sure I can find something my shower is too small and I'd have to go up a flight of stairs (the tank is really heavy and my dad is always busy (only other person in the house capable of lifting it)) but I'll figure something out

I clean mine out in the garden. Can then blast it with a garden hose to give it a really good rinse. Have your dad help you though, tanks are heavy, and be sure to put it on a flat, level surface.

When I was testing for leaks it was in my back garden aswell so I think I'll just do that
Although when it moves to my mums house(divorced when young) it will be much harder to move (mum has problems with something I dont get told much) but that is for later I have to clean and prep it first (checking inbuilt light and replacing/cleaning bulb)

Although when it moves to my mums house(divorced when young) it will be much harder to move (mum has problems with something I dont get told much) but that is for later I have to clean and prep it first (checking inbuilt light and replacing/cleaning bulb)
Cant stay at dads as only there weekends and dad is to busy so they would get neglected

Definitely make sure to get help lifting it.

19 mg/l calcium = 2.7 dH and 48 ppm. Not just soft but very soft.
Which is great news for you, @Aquavulpes8 . While it isn't suitable for platies and other livebearers like guppies and mollies, it does suit a much wider range of fish than hard water does. Hard water only has very limited choices, and even less that are also suitable for a smaller tank. You have a much bigger choice since your water is soft.

Better for you to pick species that suit your water, rather than trying to adjust your water hardness to suit the fish you currently have. (platy that is, the neons will be fine in your water). You're still brand new to fishkeeping, make it as simple on yourself as possible without having to mess with adjusting hardness as well.

Which is great news for you, @Aquavulpes8 . While it isn't suitable for platies and other livebearers like guppies and mollies, it does suit a much wider range of fish than hard water does. Hard water only has very limited choices, and even less that are also suitable for a smaller tank. You have a much bigger choice since your water is soft.

Better for you to pick species that suit your water, rather than trying to adjust your water hardness to suit the fish you currently have. (platy that is, the neons will be fine in your water). You're still brand new to fishkeeping, make it as simple on yourself as possible without having to mess with adjusting hardness as well.
That was what I was thinking but my parents are fighting me on trying to find a suitable home for ember(the platy) and say I cant return it either because "you cant return fish"

Definitely opens a lot of doors to Tetras and most other schooling fish.

That was what I was thinking but my parents are fighting me on trying to find a suitable home for ember(the platy) and say I cant return it either because "you cant return fish"
You can return a fish. Try calling the store you bought it from and ask if you can return it. (Explain the situation with your water hardness)

You can respectfully tell your parents that. ^

Most reactions

Back