The Hunt For A New Bigger Tank

dannyboi91

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi all i recently ventured into the inevetable point of wanting a bigger tank (i have two 55L atm) and honestly it has been a battle all the way as i was on a budget so second hand was the only option but even then people were asking some silly money nearly as much as they were new i was really looking at the rio 180 or the vision 180 i found wot i thought was a bargain when i came across a vision 180 for £150 but wasnt available until next week so kept looking just incase,
then i came across a vision 260 for £100 wow i thought, it needed a clean but looked perfect then discovered they wanted an extra £100 for the light unit and £100 for the filter making it all £300 which was more than i wanted to spend :(
so the hunt continued........
then last night i spoke to a nice fella about a rio 240 with cabinet, 2 eheim external filters, heater, air pump, t8 lights, and the current contents if i want all for £200 ..... BINGO!!! that sounds like the prize catch.
so im going to look at it tomorrow and make sure its all good and to look at the livestock in the tank atm and see if i want them as well
sooo hopefully will be uploadind pictures of me setting up my new Jewel Rio 240
fingers crossed

I'm sure something will come up soon enough for you :) I told you about the rio 400 bargain I had for £200.

When I sold my other tanks I sold the rio 180 for £100, the vision 180 for £110 and the vision 260 for £200...

All sold with heaters, external filters, hood and working lights, stands, sand, bogwood, thermometer, fish I had in them at the time... The lot basically.

It just seems either I'm not asking enough for them or some other people are just asking too much. Iv seen rio 180's going for around £180-200 and to me that seems a bit steep. Even with equipment. There are better bargains to be found :) keep looking and hopefully you will get what you want for a good price.The 240 sounds like a nice deal, and maybe you might be able to take him down a little, no harm in trying :) gd luck

I think it's just about being in the right place right time,

I wasn't even looking for a tank when mine came up and it was too good to miss, I've had a couple in the past but what with a divorce etc they got sold.

I got my current set-up for £100, that was for:

Fluval Roma 200 with cabinet & light unit, 205 external filter, 2 heaters, 2 air pumps, all the gravel, ornaments, gravel cleaner, 2 algae scrapers and some fish! Pretty good deal I thought.

yea gonna try get him down a bit
and yea this is the best deal i have ever seen in this area
just got to try arrange a van to pick it up since neither of us drive
hopefully gona get it wednesday :)

patience is a virtue in the second-hand tank hunting game! Sounds like yours has paid off.

It took me months to find my upgrade (in my profile pic) but it was certainly worth the wait.

Completely about being in the right place at the right time! I got my 60L for £45 including everything I would need (just had to replace the filter media). I have a 3 foot tank to come in another week that cost me £20!! Totally excited as that has most bits I need as well.. will have to add a few things to make it run perfectly but soooooo much saving.

I'm addicted to a bargain!

I've found that when I really do want something and will take a lot of time and money to perfect, then I can miraculously control myself :p

I think my biggest bargain was found on aquarists classified or something like that. Found purely by accident..

Got an 8ft x 3ft x 2ft (L x W x H) 15mm glass tank with double base plus a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft sump, brickwork and girders to support the tank, wood cladding to create the cabinet, two huge Ocean Runner return pumps and all the solid pipework needed to set it up for £300. Purely because who else could shift a tank that heavy!? :good:

Something got to be said for unpacking a brandspanking new shiney tank though and the smell ove the new silicone and everything :good:

Although we aquarists do love the smell of untouched glass and new silicone, I think 2nd hand ebay/classified tanks are much better value; I don't think I'll own a brand spanking new tank for a long time to come since I found my most recent tank on ebay. :good:

still no tank my guy with a van let me down at the last minute :( grrrr sooo angry but at least the seller is a decent bloke and gona arrange to get it another time as soon as possible but now need to fit it in around work :(
but as mentioned "patience is a virtue"
i will keep you all informed

Most reactions

Back